Saturday, November 14, 2009

Date


Yesterday, my husband and I went on all day date. We probably won't be getting those for a while because our baby is due in 10 weeks. That's right people. 2 1/2 months. I'm ready for it already.

Anyways...we went to the zoo. Then we had lunch. I took a nap. Then I made dinner and we went to the movies. I had a great day. I haven't been to the zoo in a while and have never been to the one in town. It was a cool overcast day so it was perfect. My favorite animal (besides the house cat) is the elephant. This elephant, I believe, is an Asian elephant. He's male (only male Asian elephants have tusks).

Fun elephant facts: Elephants have a gestation period of 22 months and can weigh 220 pounds at birth. (And I thought 9 months and 7 pounds was enough). Elephant calves have a long childhood, and the many females in the group act as babysitters tending the calves while the mother goes to seek food. Elephants live to be 50-70 years old. Elephants are very social creatures. Female elephants live in groups; males tend to be more solitary. They are also very intelligent creatures. They remember where their dead are (the bones) and often return to their resting place to morn. They can also use tools. While at the zoo, my husband was astonished as he watched the female elephants rake together a pile of leaves with her trunk and then scoop up the pile and eat it. He thought that she would probably drop some, but she didn't. Elephants are herbivores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!