Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Muppets


So Jim Henson is my idol. Henson was born in Mississippi (I've been to the museum in his home town and I really should upload those photos). He was always imaginative. As a child he took an old green coat of his mothers and created our most beloved Kermit the Frog. Kermit was named after a real live friend and playmate of Henson's. And thus Jim Henson created his muppets.

His muppets have spawned such shows as Sesame Street, the Muppet Show, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Bear in the Big Blue House, and Avenue Q. It's also had a number of movies including Labyrinth (my husband's fav), the Storyteller, and the Dark Crystal (my fav).

There isn't a part of puppetry that hasn't got a touch of Henson. Even the puppeteer of Star War's Yoda was a regular performer and friend of Henson.

I grew up with Henson as many people did. Sesame Street (celebrating its 40th anniversary) has influenced many children's lives. I have a few memories of this tv show, but mostly it's the music. I was always born to be a musician. Songs include "Rubber Ducky" "It's not that easy being green" and "Pen ball counting song." I still sing them to myself. My husband thinks I've gone a little silly when I randomly spout off 1-2-3-4-5 6-7-8-9-10-11-12.

Thank you Henson for always pursuing your dream and influencing children the world over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!