Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Recipes

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. And last year my head was in the toilet so I didn't cook anything. My husband and I had chicken soup for dinner. This year I'm looking forward to being healthy. Since I quit my job, I haven't had the same amount of sickness that I did last year. So in honor of a cooking holiday, I thought that I would offer some cheap easy meals on the fly.

Turkey breast in a crockpot
Buy one frozen turkey breast
Cut up onion, celery, and use something acidic like apples or lemons
Place around turkey breast for flavor
As turkey dethaws add seasonings and garlic if desired
Allow to cook over night

I didn't believe my mother when she said that you don't have to dethaw a turkey breast but because it is slow cooking, it totally tastes great! And no need to panic that you forgot to take it out of the freezer two-three days ago.

Glazed Cornish Game Hens
1 thawed Cornish game hen per person
Seasoning salt (like Tony Chachere's)
For glaze: melt together in microwave
Two Tablespoons Apple Jelly or Orange/Peach Marmalade
One Tablespoon Cinnamon
One Tablespoon Butter

Rinse and season hens. Bake covered at 325 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and brush with sweet glaze. Return to oven for 10 minutes uncovered. Repeat glaze in 10 minute cycles until hens are nicely browned.

For the side fixin' I'm lazy and buy a box of stuffing, canned green beans, packaged rolls, frozen corn cobs, and canned cranberry sauce. For a desert, I make a simple pie by buying the filling in a can and following the directions. This year I'm trying my hand at chocolate pie. Pumpkin bothers my stomach for some reason. I think its all the cinnamon and nutmeg.

For those of you who aren't traditional or for some reason are not big fans of poultry (every year my boss makes Spaghetti because the smell of cooking poultry makes her gag), I have some receipts for you.

Quick and Easy Mac and Cheese
8 oz of large elbow macaroni, cooked
8 oz of shredded cheese
10 oz can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. milk

Stir together all ingredients in a light greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes. Makes 6 servings. Goes great with a couple of side veggies.

Pork Chop Dish
Pork Chops
Bell Peppers, sliced in rings
Rice (raw)
Canned tomatoes
salt and pepper
water

Salt and pepper pork chops. Place in skillet over low heat. Place a ring of bell pepper on top of each pork chop. Add tablespoon of raw rice in the middle of the pepper ring. Add a whole canned tomato (or two) on top of rice. Salt all well. Pour rest of tomatoes in pan. Add a half can of water to remaining juice and pour over pork chops as well as in pan. Cook covered for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Dish goes great with salad and bread.

Dump Chicken
1 cup of rice (I prefer white)
1/4-1/2 pound cooked chicken (shredded or cubed)
1 can of cream corn
seasoning (I prefer lemon pepper)
Parmesan cheese for topping

In medium sized pot, begin cooking rice as directed. Simultaneously, if you haven't cooked chicken go ahead and cube 2 chicken breasts and cook in separate skillet. After finished cooking add to now boiling rice. In last five minutes add can of cream corn to mixture. Season to taste. After all ingredients are cooked thoroughly serve mixture and add Parmesan cheese for extra flavor. This serves about three people.

Loaded Baked Potato Chowder
3 Russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) baked
3 cups milk
4 oz of cream cheese, softened in microwave
2 tablespoons of butter
2-3 green onions with tops, sliced
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
Toppings: chopped cooked bacon, sour cream, and steamed broccoli florets

You can cook baked potatoes in morning in oven and make meal in evening or you can slice baked potatoes in half lengthwise and put in a large covered microwavable dish with 1/2 cup of milk on high for 11 minutes. Move potatoes around and microwave again for 8-11 minutes until easy to pierce with fork. Chop potatoes coarsely. I use a spatula. Whisk cream cheese until smooth in separate mixing bowl. Add three cups of milk to cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Add cream cheese mixture and butter to potatoes still in microwavable dish. Microwave covered high for 3-5 minutes or until potatoes etc are hot. Add cheddar cheese and green onions and salt and pepper. Mix together until cheese has melted. Serve with toppings. Makes 6 servings or 8 cups. This chowder is great with a salad and rolls.

I hope that you have a great Thanksgiving day.

2 comments:

  1. :-) I'll have to look closer at those when my eyes aren't crossing lol. Some of them sound good (not a pork fan) and I'm always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that you could substitute chicken for the pork. Where I live, we have a large vegitarian population so I'm used to trying to substitute things based on what people are willing to eat. I cook southern style, but I didn't include any of those receipes. Southern style isn't veggie friendly and is usually fried (which is bad) so I try and tweak them so that the receipes are healthy and veggie friendly. This list is for those of us in a hurry.

    I'll probably have a post of Southern receipes the closer we get to Lent. I have a great King Cake Receipe and Gumbo receipe for Mardi Gras. Vive Nouveau Orleans!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!