Thursday, November 19, 2009

Right to Dry

I'm on a money saving campaign and an environmental friendly campaign. The right to dry movement is starting to catch on. Several states (mine not included) have already made it illegal for homeowner associations to prohibit outdoor laundry drying.

So here's the thing. Your dryer uses a ton of energy. The sun is free. You don't have to worry over wrinkles because the clothes are hung up.

The downer is some people think that seeing your laundry is an eye sore (why I don't know most people hang their unmentionables inside). If it starts raining after you've already started to wash, you'll have to throw the clothes in the dryer. And if it's winter time, you might have to use a dryer because the temperature is too cold and your clothes will freeze.

Fortunately it barely rains and doesn't snow where I live. In the summer, I can hang my stuff outside and it will dry in 30 minutes flat. It takes a little longer when it's colder outside.

When I was single, my land lady had a clothes line. I would use it most of the time. But sometimes late at night if I had been at work all day I would use the dryer. I admit; I wasn't a very good hippie. Now that I live in a condo. I really have no place to hang up my clothes. There aren't any trees from which to hang a temporary line and I don't think the HOA (homeowners association) will allow me to errect two poles. I could try hanging my stuff on a free standing rack, which I might try this summer. My neighbors probably won't care as long as it isn't in their way. One of my neighbors uses the car port as a place to store projects he's working on (currently he re stained his dinning room table). We're not supposed to do that. I haven't told on him so I don't suppose that he'd care if I hung my laundry outside for a few hours during the summer. I could erect the free standing rack next to my front door (and move the giant flower pot which has a dead plant in it, I'm totally a plant killer). And I could put another one in the car port in front of my car. Yes, I'll have to try that this summer. I will admit that I do use cold water to wash consistently so I'm not that bad.

Anyway I digress. The right to dry actually has a national organization called Project Laundry List. They've even started a campaign to get the White House to hang up their laundry (see bar at bottom if you are interested in signing the petition). I mean the White House has a garden to promote energy savings, so what's the big deal about putting up a laundry line? In a time where global warming and blackouts are becoming important issues, why is it so hard for well-meaning Americans wanting to conserve energy to hang up their clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!