Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dress Codes



Things I've found on the internet....

"The Dress Code is strictly enforced at St. Peter's Basilica. No shorts, bare shoulders or miniskirts. This applies to both men and women. Even if you get through security, you will be turned away by the attendants at the door. On a hot summer day, I've seen dozens of men in shorts turned away." Source stpetersbasilica.org/touristinfo

Other people on the internet pointed out that you cannot show your knees. The dress code implies this when it says "men in shorts turned away". It also means women's skirt or pant length. Head covering is not required unless you have an audience with the Pope than you wear a black mantilla and you also wear a dress and long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirt.

I think that this is what the Vatican deems as being modest, but I still see many Catholics wearing outfits with shorts and bare shoulders. It's not so bad now that it's winter, but I'm not looking forward to after Easter. If there's a dress code at St. Pete's, we should have a dress code at all churches. One of my old churches tried to get people to cover up and not wear flip flops, but people still did. It's really vulgar to have someone genuflect and you can see the upper strings of their thong come up past their jeans. I wish that we could ask people to go home and change even though it's kinda rude. Ah, well. Maybe I'll just write a blurb and send it to the diocese newspaper.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed. I hate to admit I wore things when I was younger (to Mass) that I cringe at now. I really didn't know any better, not that its much of an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I started a thread on whether people thought bare shoulders were appropriate at Mass once on Catholic Answers Forum and it got so heated it was closed down after a few days! I'm always surprised by how many people who aren't teenagers have bare shoulders.

    I hope you're holding your little one in your arms soon! Prayers! I know it's so hard to wait! I was going crazy the last four weeks I was pregnant with Sadie!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!