Saturday, February 20, 2010

Book Review-Green This

I started having a thing once a week: Green Tips and Peace Activist of the Week but things have been so crazy I've decided to temporarily discontinue those two items. Or at least have them every once in a while.

Today I'm going to blog a short book review. I'm a little tired and the baby is trying to doze off. We'll see. Once I think he's out he's usually not. So let's see if I can type and let him snack at the same time. It's how I get him to nod off.

I like the book Greening your Cleaning by Deirdre Imus far better than the one about children. The first section of this book isn't all that great. It goes into a lot of detail about why being green in you cleaning is good for your health. The second section goes through the various parts of your house and what methods you can use to clean them.

Her basic list of cleaning products are green multi-purpose cleaners, lemon juice, distilled white vinegar, salt, baking soda, green window/glass cleaner, hand dish washing liquid, laundry liquid, hydrogen peroxide, essential oils, and ketchup. Her basic list of essential cleaning supplies is a microfiber mob, sponge mop, washable microfiber cloths, steel wool/scouring pads, natural sponges, recycled non-bleached paper towels, vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, microfiber duster, iron/ironing board, rags, buckets, old toothbrush, large scrub brush, and gloves.

She then explains how she uses each of these items in parts of the house. She is good about explaining not to use distilled white vinegar on certain surfaces like marble.

There are a few downers to the book. She does promote using multi-purpose cleaner and glass cleaner which can be substituted with things like baking soda, soap, and distilled white vinegar. She is also big into essential oils which I think aren't necessary for purifying the air as long as you change your air filters often and vacuum frequently. She also doesn't tell you how you can make some of these soaps and detergents from things like borax, washing soda, and ivory soap. Rather she promotes you buying similar products but at a higher cost. She also goes through each chapter highlighting different toxins which I think should be reserved for the first section of her book.

Overall, I think her cleaning tips are top notch. I would buy the book to use a reference for things that I would not ordinarily clean like copper, brass, crystal, etc. But other things like laundry that I do clean frequently I would not buy the book for because it becomes a habit and you don't need a reference. I would also buy the book as a gift to family or friends who show an interest in going green or who own a cleaning business. It even talks about dry cleaning.

I give the book an average rating. I think there is too much jargon and propaganda in her books and less focus on what I'm looking for: greening your cleaning. I know that teflon isn't good for you.

1 comment:

  1. Sound interesting... The good things you mentioned about it are things I'd like to have the info for, but... the others are things that would bother me too lol. I do like EO's though... not so much for purifying the air as other things. TTO for example... is great for laundry and baby stuff lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!