Friday, February 26, 2010

Recipe for King Cake


So a big tradition in the south is King Cake. For those of you who don't know what King Cake is, it's basically a sweet bread. King cake originates with Epiphany and usually has a plastic baby or a bean inside of it to represent the baby Jesus. Some how the tradition has become part of Mardi Gras. Tradition hold that if you find the baby you have to bring the next King Cake for Mardi Gras. Growing up in Mississippi you can find King Cakes anywhere around Mardi Gras so I never had to make one. But then I moved, and nobody had every heard let alone seen a King Cake.

Being resourceful, I found a great website which has the recipe. The lady or man who wrote it is a fellow Mississippian. I use it but I used canned frosting to frost the cake rather than make my own. You can also use pie filling to fill the cake if you so desire, but it's not traditional. It's more of a variation.

Here's the site: http://www.fabulousfoods.com/receipes/dessert/cakes/kingcake.html

Oh, and the pick is my very first attempt at making it. The following year it turned out much better.

1 comment:

  1. :-) Nice! I saw one at HEB the other day... in the sale section lol. I had to point it out to my husband cause he'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!