Thursday, March 18, 2010

My issue with social networking sites

I have a problem with social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, and Myspace. Yes, I have a Facebook account. No there isn't anything on it. The only reason why I have an account is because you have to if you want to view something someone wants to show you and they use Facebook. And that is my beef with the social networking sites and why I prefer blogs. It is isn't censorship. If you want to view an open blog, you can. You don't have to subscribe, sign-up for, or make an account. You just plug in the url and you're there.

With blogs you have the option of making them public or private just like the social networking sites. And yes, you have to have an account to make a blog, but that makes sense to me. You want to password protect it so that somebody can't just go in and mess around with if they want to. But like I said, the person viewing it doesn't have to subscribe to it if they don't want to. And to me that's more freedom of information and involves less censorship and control.

And what's with the age limit thing on social networking sites. Why do you need to be thirteen to have an account? Most younger children lie about their age anyway so it's pointless. Even if I had a teenager, I would make them make everything private or invite only. I would especially monitor the comments made on their blog/networking site because teenagers can't tell the difference between reality and cyber space. They say whatever they want without worrying over repercussions. There have been studies. You have to be careful that things don't get out of hand.

And then people obsess about their Facebook page and feel the need to Tweet their lives. Even Miley Cyrus gave up Twitter because she felt that it set a bad example for kids. Kids need to get out there in reality and be physically active and meet people in real life to learn social skills. A computer will not help them. And adults need to be physically active too and while the internet is a great resource especially when talking to other moms, sometimes you spend more time on the computer than with your child. Then all this Facebook stuff is really an addiction (although blogging becomes that way too).

So go ahead and Tweet if you want. I'll just pick up the phone and actually talk to a real person.

1 comment:

  1. :-) I don't like twitter either. I have one... I use it occasionally, but only because it goes up on my facebook. I'll admit I use that one a lot. I like that its by invite only, is more secure than myspace (I had one of those too) and my family is on there and actually pays attention to what's on it more often than my blog. Or at least I get feedback more often than I do on my blog. Now... I prefer the blog. By far... but I'm more likely to put more info up on facebook because I know who's getting it. Of course that right there goes back to the whole issue I've been having lately too and I don't want to go there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!