Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Book Review- The Attachment Parenting Book

Hubby and I read The Attachment Parenting Book by William Sears and Martha Sears. And we both agree, the book is terrible. It is horribly written.

Where should I begin...oh, let's see last weekends post was devoted to the fact that they don't tell there readers who their sources are. I have no way of verifying that any of the so called scientists or studies show any of the things that they are talking about. So that eliminates bothering to read chapters 2 and 3 which is about the benefits of attachment parenting and what attachment parenting is not.

Then they build their style around infants and toddlers only. I'm wondering how this style of parenting is applicable to older children. Or is that another book?

They have what they call the B's. Breastfeeding, babywearing, belief in baby's cry, bedding close, balance and boundaries, and beware of baby trainers. A red flag automatically comes up when they base their principals on not listening to other people's advice. It just screams money. Listen to us, buy our stuff, check out our website and ignore other people. I don't like it.

The only things that I like about the book is that it tells you that you don't have to be perfect all the time. They encourage AP moms to take breaks. They help AP moms who want to go back to work. They give advice to AP dads. And they also say that AP moms of multiples do need to "schedule" their babies just for their own sanity.

Don't bother reading chapter 14 title AP testimonials. It's more jargon and rhetoric trying to sell you on their system.

AP parenting is natural and I like it because it works for my family. I like being flexible with it. I don't like the fact that Dr. and Mrs. Sears have written a terribly written book and have made money off of it. Thumbs down. By pass the book.

Hubby has suggested that I've read books that are AP friendly and should read and write reviews for the other side to be fair. I agree. So I'm going to read a book by Dr. Ferber who has coined such phrases as Ferberizing and putting your child on a schedule. I'm not into his style of parenting, but maybe he writes a better book. We'll see.

BTW no one pays me to read and write reviews. These reviews are books I check out from my public library, were given to me, or purchased on my own. I don't receive anything from the book reviews accept knowledge which I pass onto others.

2 comments:

  1. That's disappointing. :-(

    As for the advice comment... I can see it to a point. You really can't listen to everyone's advice. If it sounds wrong/feels wrong... You shouldn't feel like you have to go with it. But at the same time, you can get a lot of good info that way too. I'm always up for hearing advice, just may not always take it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed too. I've since read some other people's reviews and many have said that it is the same as their other book The Baby Book. I would think that they would have expanded the book to include several age groups, but they didn't.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!