Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Book Review- What to Expect Series

I own three, count em', three books from the What to Expect Series. I own, What to Expect When You're Expecting, What to Expect the First Year, and What to Expect the Toddler Years.

These books are considered to be the definitive tomes on their subjects. And they really are great. They even tell you about stuff that is unusual.

They are broken down by month or months in the case of the Toddler Years and end with a few chapters by subject like Twins in the case of the When You're Expecting book. Generally the chapters begin with information about what will happen and then goes into a series of questions/answers. The information is awesome.

But there are some draw backs to the series. 1) some of the questions are similar so some of the answers are similar 2) a lot doesn't change month to month so some of the information is repetitive for example: morning sickness typically lasts three months 3) because a lot of the information is the same, they often refer you to another part of the book. I'm forever flipping backward or forward to find out the information that I need. 4) they are constantly updating the series so there are several new editions. You really don't need to go out and get a new edition for the general information. If there are any concerns about something new that you've heard, it always best to talk to your pediatrician or ob.

Other than that the books are great. Check em' out. I got my books through Book Mooch but I know that my local library has them too. (Reading Rainbow song has just gone off in my head LOL)

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any but the first. It was recommended to me in my first pg and I didn't look into it before buying it... Yeah big mistake, I hate that book. Part of me wants to get rid of it, but I hate throwing out books & feel bad about passing it on to someone else... :-/

    No offense meant, just saying lol. Glad you found something about it you like though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't go into alternative planning that's for sure, but they are good for other information like symptoms of illnesses and things like that. I had metal mouth real bad in the first trimester and thought something was wrong with me until I read that it's a common pg symptom (for lack of a better word my brains not functioning).

    Wop, baby's crying. His schedule is so funky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah it does have a lot of stuff like that. There's another book I really wanted this pg but couldn't really afford it, esp since its not something we "needed". I got to look through it at a bookstore though & it had a ton of good info. Maybe next time lol.

    Sorry about the funky schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the name of the book? Maybe my library has it. And I'd love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ask a Midwife. Literally, not saying to ask one lol. Good luck finding it at a library though... that's cool if you can, but I've had probs finding copies of this book. It was in one store here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. Apparently our library doesn't have it. Oh La. I guess I will add to the list of books that I might try to get ahold of later.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!