Monday, May 31, 2010

Other Options

Hubby and I had a long discussion about what would be done in the case of genocide. How would a pacifist react and what should governments do? I came up with a few non-military strategies.

1) Diplomacy- I suggest that the warring parties meet at a neutral location and work things out. Or a neutral third party help aid in negotiations. Also sanctions against a violent nation doesn’t hurt.

2) Open a neutral country to taking in more refugees- Currently it takes several years for a refugee to receive refugee status and for a host country to take a person in. Also host countries set up quotas. If a country was in the midst of genocide, host countries could allow for higher quotas of refugees from that area.

3) Propaganda- Just as Hitler managed to convince a whole country that it was the Jews who lost them WWI, you can use propaganda and other educational tools to try and get people to work things out peacefully.

4) Pressure- The more people are aware of the situation; the more governments will tip toe around killing a person. Watch groups keep a look out for stuff that’s going on and keep accounts of what’s happening. I’m entirely convinced that if the world didn’t know about Aung San Suu Kyi, she’d be dead by now.

I’m not saying that all of these ways don’t take time and resources, but if we spent more on these things and less on bullets, countries would think twice about killing a different cultural/religious group. And yes, our government does all of these things. I just don’t want it to kill people while trying to “protect” them.

On another note: I made a comment yesterday about not supporting the troops even the dead ones. After thinking about it, I believe that my cousin took this to be a malicious statement. I don’t hate any of the men and women of the armed services including the dead ones. And that’s not what I meant by that statement. Support has many meanings: to bear or hold up, to endure, to sustain, to maintain, to uphold, to advocate, to corroborate, and to second. I would not support a woman’s decision to become a stripper nor would I support my son’s decision if he decided to have sex with a man. I would not love my son less or treat him differently. It simply means that I do not support, sustain, uphold, advocate, corroborate, or second his decision. Likewise, I do not support, sustain, uphold, advocate, corroborate, or second anyone’s decision to be in the armed services. My cousin is decidedly conservative so I would imagine that she wouldn’t support someone becoming a stripper or her two sons becoming homosexuals. Being against the armed services, is a liberal ideology. I’m a moderate so I suppose that I see this “not supporting” thing as all the same, and my cousin sees it as an affront. But I cannot answer for her. She was rather upset about the comment, and perhaps she can explain (in a calm manner) exactly what she meant instead of spouting off quotes from ex-presidents and generals. It only clouds the matter and leaves a person confounded by what a person truly meant.

6 comments:

  1. hey, this is your cousin brent...the marine. i just want to comment about your pacifist way...i support you in your journey in being a pacifist, but may i ask? you say you defend your country by not fighting...what good have you done for your country? i have become a u.s. marine, a sanction of tradition and professionalism. i defend it against terrorists. pacifism is your choice, i'm glad you want peace, but in the bible it states that there shall never be world peace. also, how are your diplomatic options going to control the al quieda, and those savages in africa that are 16 years old and fighting against their own government...how do you suggest controlling them without military support. i'm not asking for you support, i'm asking that you support my fellow marines, soldiers and sailors because they are brave enough to answer the call, to be brave enough to lay their life on the line, to give up time from families to keep you safe at night while you sleep.

    do you realize with your beliefs and comments that in another country you would be shot on spot?? plenty of men and women died for your right to do and say as you please. also, we join because some people come from a poor family and can't afford college, some do it because it's that or jail, some do it because they simply want to defend this great nation. i had college paid for, so i could've done that. i did this because it's our family legacy, i'm proud to be the first marine in the family. i'm proud to serve the country. i could have done anything i wanted, but i chose this profession, and it has changed my life. i'm not here to attack you. you could tell me you hate me, but i'd still welcome you in my house with open arms. again, i just want you to think about the family that has made the sacfices they have. and i hope one day your child will answer the call, so you can understand the challenges that are faced, so can get a face to face view of what really happens. i love being in the military, and i would do it all over again. just remember those who have died and are still fighting for you pacifist ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The point is that I don't want a person to kill another person just to protect me. I defend my country by laying my own life down for others and the rights of others. But I refuse to kill. You have decided to kill someone and to me that is wrong just like it is wrong for terrorists to kill others. You say those who kill Americans are terrorists but to the poor Afghan widow who lost her husband the US military is the terrorist.

    Killing is killing no matter what the reason and the Bible says "Thou shall not kill" and doesn't have an unless or but clause. And Jesus did not kill. Matthew 5: 44-45 says "But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven." He also says in Matthew 5:38-39 "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.'But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." And again he says in the Beatitudes Matthew 5: "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."

    I will pray that Jesus can turn your heart so that you will see that he calls you to be a peacemaker and not a solider, who kills people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be a peace activist like the ones who have died, the ones who laid down their lives for freedom and my civil rights, the ones who I have featured week in and week out. Those are my heroes. Those are the people that I honor because they "fought" for my freedoms without killing. And what's great is that they are teachers and lawyers and politicians and scientists. They used the talents that God gave them to be peacemakers because that is what Jesus said to do. I cannot go against Jesus. I'm sorry. Jesus did say that to follow him would make you an "enemy" of your friends and family that what he calls us to do is not easy. That you would sacrifice your earthly life to be in his kingdom. I worry more about my soul than about what is considered popular and my body because it doesn't matter if I'm not able to see the Lord face to face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would gladly welcome anyone into my home from the armed services. In fact, my son is named after my husband's grandfather who was in the military. And my son is babysat by a friend who was a fighter pilot. It is not for me to judge a person's heart or intention, but I cannot say that it is right if a thing, murder/killing, is not right. I cannot in good consciousness tell a person to join the military knowing that they are going to murder people innocent or not. I simply cannot support it. I will pray for the person diligently as I pray for all service men and women to lay down their arms and stop murdering people. I pray that they become peacemakers even though it is not easy. Jesus calls us to protect all life even those who have done wrong. Why else would he have protected the adulterous woman from the murderous crowd? We cannot kill others if we too are at fault with the sin. And the US government is not faultless. We kill civilians and we kill our own countrymen (accidentally of course) but we still have that blood on our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not going to tell you that your beliefs are wrong. That's not my place, nor my right. I do have a problem, however, with you telling Brent that you will "pray that Jesus turns his heart". Do you even know anything about your cousin? He's one of the most God-fearing men I know, and you're talking like he doesn't know anything about Christianity. Doesn't the Bible also tell you not to judge others? Maybe you should think about that before you open your mouth next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll quote myself. "It is not for me to judge a person's heart or intention, but I cannot say that it is right if a thing, murder/killing, is not right."

    "I will pray that Jesus can turn your heart so that you will see that he calls you to be a peacemaker and not a solider, who kills people."

    I never said that B wasn't a Christian. I said that I hope that Jesus will "turn your (his heart) so that you (he) will see that he is called to be a peacemaker." We are all called to be peacemakers, but no one is perfect. Just as we pray that our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ will turn away from the sins that are troubling them.

    I find it a bit ironic that I've told people in the past they don't have the right to judge me. But they of course quote this Bible verse: Galatians 6:1-5
    1Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. 2Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, 5for each one should carry his own load.

    And that is the end of the argument because the Bible says not to quarrel. I would ask that if you have problems with my beliefs in the future that you state your comments in a respectable manner. I'm asking not telling.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!