Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baby Stuffs

HB didn't gain an ounce. The lactation consultant/nurse said the same ol' same ol' compress boobie while feeding him and feed him more. HB isn't starving so I'm not worried.

There was also about 15 woman again (I counted this time) and a bunch of newbies at BSG. Our group is getting so big that I think there going to need to get us another room. HB and I left for a while because it was loud and he was contributing. Later I walked around the room.

Other stuffs: I like the wonderwraps they have a very nice wide front compared to other diaper covers which makes it easy to wrap around the baby (maybe that's why they're called this). They also have nice adjustable snaps for the growing baby. The applix/touch tape/Velcro doesn't come undone in the wash causing the irritating train of stuck together diapers. Downer- no gussets!! I love those things. Here's a couple of pics of HB in the wonderwrap (vanilla colored) and one with him in one of his dad's old covers (blue gingham).





My MIL told me that they used to call diaper covers "plastic pants." She told me that she likes diaper covers better. Although the term "diaper cover" can also mean bloomers, the little cloth diaper used to cover a disposable diaper mostly used for girls who are wearing dresses. But with the advent of the onesie and cute cloth diaper covers, bloomers aren't really needed anymore.

I plan on taking more pics of HB in different diapers/diaper covers that we have and posting them for all to see why I love love love cloth so much!

Also we retrofitted the crib. Turns out the instructions weren't hard to follow just were very precise. Hubby and I were able to retrofit it in about half an hour. Most of the time was spent unscrewing and screwing in well...screws. Basically our crib doesn't drop down anymore. A metal piece now holds the drop side in place and the metal piece connects to one of the legs. The mattress frame holder dealie thingy screws into it. There are two metal pieces for the two sides of the drop side. I'll have to take a picture later to show you what I mean but HB is asleep so sorry for the horrible explanation.

A while back I had mentioned that I wanted to say prayers with HB and asked people for suggestions of what they did with their kids. It seems that everyone uses a style that they feel comfortable with and works for their family. This was abundantly helpful to me. Thank you all!!! As many people know, I'm a big meditation type. Reciting prayers and speaking in general is not really my thing. Don't get me wrong. I can do both, but I don't feel a connection to either. Problem is I can't exactly teach an infant how to meditate. Nor can I meditate real well with an infant (kinda wigs them out when you get real quiet like that).

But I'm a musician. So one day I was looking around for children's religious songs (Jesus loves me and all that jazz) to sing to HB during the day for fun. Then it hit me: duh, prayers, prayers are sung too!! Hello, why didn't I think of this before? I can sing HB prayers. And what's more, sung prayers are meditative AND lullabys. Great! Excellent! So now when I rock HB before going to sleep, I sing the Prayer of St. Francis (see the blog title picture and the playlist at the top). It's in English so it's a little easier for me to memorize than Ave Maria which is in Latin. Plus there's like a million versions of Ave Maria, but I'll probably pick one and teach myself the words. I've sung a couple of versions before but usually I have the words in front of me. There are also a number of versions of the Our Father which I also need to choose a version that I'm most comfortable with. But for now I'm singing the Prayer of St. Francis and he loves it. Plus it's totally not weird for me to be singing and rocking a baby. So there's the solution to my dilemma. Now if only I could find a meal time prayer song. Hummm... Maybe I'll just have to write my own or, as I do with the song that I sing to him before he sleeps, use an old favorite and add new words.

(to the tune goodnight ladies)
Goodnight HB
Goodnight HB
Goodnight HB
It's Time to Go to Bed

Goodnight Mommy
Goodnight Mommy
Goodnight Mommy
It's Time to Go to Bed

Goodnight Daddy
Goodnight Daddy
Goodnight Daddy
It's Time to Go to Bed

Goodnight Family
Goodnight Family
Goodnight Family
It's Time to Go to Bed

I also sign it to him. Yes, we're still working on ASL signs. Lately I've been signing where we're going: library, home, store, etc. I've also been trying to remember to sign "eat" when talking about eating.

Okay this was an incredibly long post. Sorry. I had way too much to say for some reason. It's nice not having migraines today.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've written about cloth diapers so much! I'd never even considered it, but all the sudden this last month I decided I wanted to give it a try (and I'm really, really, really hoping it works out. My pre-fold diapers arrived yesterday and now I'm impatient to try them out. Your blog has definitely helped influence that! I'm just hoping it doesn't take too long to get the different folds down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! My parents never used prefolds. They weren't around. I was so impatient myself that I took a stuffed bear and started practicing on the bear before HB was born. Hubby thought I was a little crazy. But it was definitely helpful.

    Also I looked at a number of folds online. Youtube was great for that. There's about three main ones. The angel, the newspaper, and the twist. The twist works well for girls since their parts are in a different place. At least that's what people tell me. I really have no first hand experience.

    It's a little tricky to get a rhythm with getting the diapers on and washing and whatnot. I was used to changing disposables all the time. But trust me cloth is the best. For starters, the gussets on covers stop leaks. HB always leaked as a newborn in a disposable. And when the baby is a toddler and has learned how to rip off a diaper, covers have snaps so it's much harder to remove. As far as I know disposables don't have gussets or snaps.

    There are a number of other good things to them too that outweigh the negative stuff about cloth. Cloth does have draw backs. You have more laundry. And their clothes aren't designed for cloth so you have to buy larger bottoms and onesies. I recommend using dresses and shirts. You're lucky having a girl that way.

    I'll take some pics of my house for you and let you see what I do. Maybe I can talk Mama into doing the same thing so you get a better idea. It was hard for me to read about it without seeing it set up and in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sung prayer idea! So cute.

    And that was a very good point about the Wonder Wraps.. I hadn't put it to words before, but the wide top is great... I love how much easier it makes things. Was thinking something along those lines this morning when I put one on Zavier lol. I also dislike the whole no gussets thing though.

    I googled prefold folds too lol. We actually went through a few diff ones for Kalila and stuck with one that seems to work for Zavier too. Not going to say we won't switch it up later of course, but still. There are some covers you can lay them straight in... we've done it but doesn't work well w/ the ones we have.

    I think the clothing size thing really depends on your baby. I haven't really noticed an issue w/ Zavier yet... and never did w/ Kalila either. But.. she's so tall that we're always having to go to a bigger size anyway so I think it just worked out.

    On the CD front, I just placed an order for some new pockets for nighttime (he's using our old BG's and they're so worn out). I can't wait to get them in... looking forward to reviewing something new too lol.

    On the weight thing. How often is he getting weighed? I'm assuming that was at your meeting... the reason I ask is that I've heard that weighing too often can cause issues by making parents (or dr's in some cases) think there's a problem. He sounds like he's doing great though. I def wouldn't worry about him not gaining at that weigh in... I'm mostly looking forward to our pedi visit next week for that... so curious lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HB is skinny so the onesies that fit often are sliding off his shoulders. I like the ones with snaps on the shoulder because they seem to stay better than the ones that don't have them.

    He gets weighed every week at BSG. It's standard. I don't think there is a problem because if there was the nurse would tell me to make a pedi appointment. I think she is more concerned that he's not eating enough, which I don't think is the case. When he's hungry it's like he's sucking down a smoothie through a straw. When he's not he pops on and off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... I like the ones w/ snaps better too. Zavier does the same with nursing too, although he does pop off occasionally while hungry but its obvious that he's not playing because its accompanied by milk shooting everywhere and him gasping for air. I feel so bad when it happens... I hand pumped some yesterday (was in pain) and when he woke hungry I put him on that side and he did so good... I think I just need to be careful to note how I'm feeling when he gets hungry. If I can feel the milk then I prob should pump some out. I can't wait to get my pump next week.. will make that a lot easier. We found a good electric one for $40. So excited :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of women at BSG talk about shooting milk everywhere or spraying as they call it. I have the opposite problem. I have the slowest let downs and a "slow drip." HB has learned to suck for about a minute before things get going. If he's really hungry, he'll whine sometimes, and I try to help but there's not much I can do.

    I also have trouble expressing milk. All the lactation consultants think that I'm dried up because it takes forever. I'm a bit worried about starting solids because if I want to mix breast milk, I'm going to have to pump. Pumping also takes a long time. What I can do, which I've done before, is get HB to start the let down phase (he's quicker than the pump) pull him off and express a bit out. Or use my cousin's suggestion and buy a hand pump so that when he's eating on one side I can pump on the other.

    I haven't decided what to do yet.

    I know people find it annoying that they spray, but they are luckier in a way. I know that I'm not the only one with the slow let down. There's another lady that try as she might can't seem to build up her supply all that well. She's so frustrated right now with the pumping. And another lady who had to pump a lot at first too because she has supply problems at first. This has happened to her twice. She was ready for it the second go round.

    All bodies are different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true.. and they can differ between babies too (same body that is). Mine not so much, but I've heard of it happening lol.

    I don't mind the spray so much other than it hurting my kids. Kalila had a hindmilk imbalance.. mostly caused by bad advice, but OAL does contribute to it. Zavier has some symptoms of it occasionally but thankfully not as bad. Both choke(d) though and have/had gas problems. Kalila couldn't get hers out and made her very fussy/screamed a lot. Zavier has no problem with that, but he spits up like crazy from it. I'd be happier with his but he does still cry/scream from it occasionally and it just bothers me. So glad the pumping the other day helped. I'm getting an electric and hoping it does better than the hand pump Kalila lost. It worked while she was nursing like you said, but I could rarely get anything out w/ it either unless she was doing that. Which is pretty common from what I understand. Surprised the LC's there don't know that or don't seem to.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!