Saturday, June 19, 2010

Oh, Baby!

This is a three section post about babies. The first is more like a question. Yesterday, I went to the grocery store and HB was complemented like crazy. "You have such a cute baby." The only response that I could come up with was Thank you. But that doesn't feel right because I had relatively little to do with what he looks like. Sure he carries my genes but I didn't pick and choose which ones. Sure I was good during the pregnancy; I didn't do drugs or drink. But it's mostly God's doing. In some way I feel like saying something like, "Yes, we have to God thank for that." or "Praise, God. He's so awesome that way." But I feel a bit fanatical when I do that. There's also that occasional atheist who crops up and would say something about not believing in God. What do you say when someone compliments the way your children look?

Also I went for an annual check up, turns out that I'm not a carrier for the cystic fibrosis mutation that HB has. They test for 95% of the major gene mutations. HB has one. I don't have any, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a gene mutation just a rarer one. This means that Hubby is a carrier too. (It took him a while to realize that because he thought that I was talking about percentage of possibilities not percentage of genes tested). So we'll probably have more children. He seems to want to space them two years apart. I'm not sure that I like that idea, but we'll see. And even now, he's talking to HB about him having a sibling. But tomorrow he'll probably say something about not wanting more children because it will be so much work. Hubby is an only child so it's a bit of a foreign concept that having a second child will actually be less work. We can have HB play with his sibiling or have the sibling watch HB play when we need to do something. We won't have to listen to constant screaming out of boredom which is what HB does. HB loves other kids.

And the last one, Arizona is tightening the screws. In the legislature's attempts to curb illegal immigration, they are deciding whether or not to include a bill that denies citizenship to children born in the United States to parents who are illegals. The children are called anchor babies because there is a common misconception that they help keep their illegal parents in the US. This isn't the case. Their parents are still deported. Basically, they are planning on refusing to issue birth certificates to the children. My thoughts on this: Okay, the child didn't cross the border on it's own in order to be born in the US so you are violating the child's rights by doing this. And secondly this is a clear violation of the 14th amendment which states that "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." The only exception to this is children born to foreign diplomats. So now they really are stretching things.

I should have guessed that this might come about. I don't give my social to anyone. At the hospital in order to have HB issued a social security card, we had to give our socials. To me, that is also a violation of HB's rights. He doesn't have to have legal parents with legal socials in order to be issued one. When the lady told me that I needed to include my number, I asked why. She said that they would take the paper work, but nothing would happen. It's stupid really. I'm not sure if she's telling the truth or fudging to save herself the head ache. I almost want to call the social security office to find out if this is true or not. Of course, they would probably say that it's not, and tell me to bring him and his birth certificate in order to issue it. It makes me shake my head in disgust.

Also in July the new Arizona law allowing officers to check the papers of anyone they suspect to be illegal will go into affect. This means that anyone of Hispanic descent who speaks with an accent will be targeted. This includes not only those who are illegals but also Mexican vacationers, legal immigrants, naturalized citizens, and American born citizens who may have spent their childhood abroad or who had parents who spoke little English. It's clearly a law based on racial and ethnocentric profiling. A number of groups are petitioning to have the law quashed and some people are planning on suing the government.

This comes from the Republican party in Arizona. All the more reason why I think the Republican party has lost it's sanity and why I should switch party affiliations. It's one thing to not necessarily agree with every stance the party takes, but it's another when you start introducing laws that clearly violate the rights of its own citizens. There is such a backlash in our country over the new law right now that you would think that introducing the anchor baby bill would be a bad idea, but I have a funny feeling that they're going to try.

I completely agree with Cam over at A Woman's Place that there really isn't a party that I am completely happy with. I wish that there was a party that stood for the ideals of all Catholics, but we're a two party system so...

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten that a lot w/ both of my kids... I always say thanks. I've never really looked at it the way you do (which does make sense) I just have taken it as them complimenting my kids that I am very proud of... and a bit amazed that I did have such beautiful children (I have more than a bit of a body image issue).

    Glad you're not a carrier! That is great news. Personally, as you can see lol, I like the 2 year space myself. There are ups and downs to just about any spacing though and it really depends on what you think is best for you... and what God thinks is best since ultimately its up to Him lol. The thought of having a kid closer than 2 years apart scares me half to death though... would take a huge adjustment if that happens. And a big space between two would prob be the same way for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!