Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Retraction

I reviewed the Green Bible a while back. (Since I'm too lazy to link it just search the blog if your interested.) At first glance, I felt that the book was ecumenical. There are a few advisers who are Catholics. They also include an article from Pope John II. But there are some problems. First of all, they don't include the deuterocanonical or apocrypha texts for either Catholics or the Orthodox. It's not even a separate section in the back. Second while this is a different translation from my Bible, as I'm highlighting I realize that a lot of the verses in this version are different. There are extra verses and the number order is off in some cases.

Third there is very little Bible commentary within the Bible itself to explain some of the meanings of the verses. It does tell you when a verse can be translated differently, but that's it. I like that my regular Bible tells you things in the margins. It's not a study Bible per se but my Bible does explain a lot of the verses that are confusing. It also gives references for similar text found in other parts of the Bible. The Green Bible does not do this.

Fourth the Green Bible is missing the "Imprimatur" stamp. For those of you who don't know (I didn't learn this until an adult), if you have an approved Catholic Bible it will have the Imprimatur in it. This is usually found on the publication page at the beginning of a Bible. The Imprimatur will say Imprimatur and include the person's name. Imprimatur, for those of us illiterate in Latin (myself), means "let it be printed." The person's name refers to the person who approved the Bible. The Bible also should include "Nihil obstat" meaning "nothing hinders." There will also be another name. This means that the text was approved to be reviewed by another person who will approve the publication (the Imprimatur). So a publication page will look like this:
Nihil obstat
So and So with letters

Imprimatur
So and So with letters
and in some cases the date of approval

With those stamps, any book is declared to be without moral or doctrinal error. Without those stamps, who knows.

In other words, the Green Bible could have moral flaws even though it is somewhat ecumenical in nature. So reader be weary.

I think the Green Bible is a good start in the right direction. Perhaps a revised edition will be published that includes these major things. For now it's a good resource and gets the mind going, if nothing else. I would, however, keep in mind that not all it's teachings are in alignment with the Catholic faith. I would take the actual highlighted Bible portions (green text) and compare it to an approved Catholic Bible. That's what I've been doing actually.

So there you have it.

Oh, and HB is 5 months today. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!