Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Review- The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day

The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day by Meredith Gould is a good book. At first I thought that this book was geared more toward families but I was a bit wrong. It's for any type of home including people who are single. I like the book because it goes through the major liturgical feasts and gives suggestions for ways to celebrate. It also gives a brief history behind each.

Some problems are that she doesn't give you many details. For example, for the Advent she suggests a Jesse tree. She says that you can make your own or order one and then she lists the symbols of it. It doesn't give cuts outs or anything similar to a craft book. She also includes suggestion for dinners that different cultures do for different feast days, but she doesn't include very many recipes. In other words, it's an over-view not a detail of specifics.

Many of the traditions I already knew, but a good many I didn't so that was good. But I would have liked more specifics.

She also gives a list of bring Jesus into the everyday like devotions and family altars. I think this a great suggestion.

All-in-all I give it a B because it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. I wanted more detail.

Oh, and they are working on the valve as we speak. Some of the homeowners are already asking when the water is going to be turned back on since they said noon. It's past noon by a little bit. We have some impatient neighbors. I mean, I was prepared. I have a pitcher of water in the fridge. More on that later.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I have a couple similar books and love some of the ideas in them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!