Saturday, August 14, 2010

Funny

So far the responses that I've received from manufacturers are disturbing. A lot of not bothered to tell me where their goods are produced. Many have ignored my explanation. The Guyot company sent me the rather scathing e-mail about US factories to which I finally did reply asking for either a news article or picture to back up that claim. I have not received a response. I believe that the comment was flippant and nasty. 3am? Why do I care if you have to make a conference call at 3 am? Haven't you heard about e-mail? It shows that the company does not care about its customer base.

Another company, Thinksound which makes PVC-free and limited plastic head phones, actually does seem to care. The person responded by saying that they didn't want to get into a debate with me. Here are their words:

While I won't go into arguments about government and whether or not we agree on foreign policy I will answer your other questions. As I said, I lived there for many years so it is different for me. The real fact is that most countries limit what their citizens can view, read etc and whether that is good or not is up for debate.

While I have looked into manufacturing in other countries I haven't found any that would be an improvement. I do wish someday we would be big enough to own our own thinksound manufacturing facilities in the USA its just not going to happen at this time. As of now our production line only runs about 3 days in every 60 days. The other days are shared with other manufacturers. The USA, Mexico, and other countries have either very poor facilities for making headphones or none at all. Currently there is only 1 manufacturer that makes headphones in the USA and those retail for well above $300.

I have been to Indonesia and Vietnam but their facilities are in no way even close to the facilities and treatment the Chinese workers get. The cold hard truth of it is that the USA cannot do small manufacturing jobs like this because it our unions have made prices so high that its not possible.

That being said, I do agree with you and we are continuing to try to bring jobs in the US but things like our headphones can't be done here. We do however order many of our components from other countries including some cable materials and electronic components. I hope that you understand this email. I don't want to get in a heated debate and I guess you just have to be there in person to understand completely.

Best regards,

Aaron Fournier
President /CEO/Engineer
thinksound
aaron.fournier@thinksound.com
350 Route 108
Suite 204
Somersworth, NH 03878

My response:
Dear Aaron,
Thank you for your e-mail. I'm glad that you chose not to engage in a debate on foreign government with me. I realize that you have been there and have more first hand knowledge than I do. I'm a researcher of sorts since my day job is stay-at-home mom. I'm a religious person and consider it part of my responsibility to take care of creation and to try and help those in need.

I only tell manufacturers what I believe because I know that it's the most peaceful way to create dialogue and make a change for the Chinese people. That's my goal. I believe that a free market society can shape foreign governments, and in a free market society it's consumers that tell manufacturers the type of product we want. In turn the manufacturers deliver or leave China. I want a product produced in a country that doesn't take over or torture Tibetans. I know that this sounds strange considering my own country invaded Iraq, but we have a vote and a voice. And we are currently trying to give a voice to the Iraq people. The Tibetans don't.

It's also the reason why I boycott. I have nothing against the manufacturers who set up shop in China or the Chinese people. It's the government that I want to change. And since I don't live in China and am not in politics, this is my one small way to make a change. St. Therese of Liseaux said to do small things every day. An e-mail is small, an idea is small, but the impact over time can be enormous.

I became aware of the problems in China from my roommate who is Taiwanese. She considers herself to be Taiwanese and not Chinese and resents having the Chinese feel that they can control her and her people. She encouraged me to boycott Chinese products and instead buy things that said "made in Taiwan."

I'm sure that you didn't want my life's story. And I apologize for taking up so much of your time. I just wanted you to know that there are others out there like me who are trying to create a peaceful world by letting manufacturers know what we want. You have more power over Chinese affairs than you may realize.

Sincerely,

So you see some manufacturers do care about what people say. Those are the type of people that you want to buy products from because they will stand behind their stuff and listen to what customers want.

3 comments:

  1. That's crazy that any of them would be rude.. I can kinda see the non responses, but wow.

    Completely off topic, but I just noticed this... Your email shows up in my email because of the comments to my blog (has to have because I didn't save it anywhere), which is fine.. but because its there its popping up on my Facebook friends suggestions. At least I'm pretty sure its you lol. If you don't want that happening to random people who you follow on here but don't know you might want to up FB security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have a facebook account. I mean I sorta do but there's nothing there. Weird. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understood and no problem. My dad was telling me something about needing to have accounts with all of those places even if you don't use them so that noone could do one in your name and cause probs (although I'm sure one could still pull that if they really wanted too). So it doesn't surprise me when people have ones they don't use lol. Mine's mostly for family, or I stay with it for family anyway, but I've found old friends too. Is kinda strange. Is way too easy to get sucked into.. I have to watch myself there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!