Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My "little" guy and Book Review

Book Review- Cooking for Baby by Lisa Barnes

This baby cook book is awesome!! 5 stars. A plus. I highly highly recommend it. However, I would caution you not to purchase but to check it out or borrow because it is printed in China. But if you can't find it then go ahead buy it.

Why is it awesome? Because for dummies like me who know very little of cooking fruits and veggies because I tend to eat them raw, this is great. It tells you the tools you will need and how to begin. Then it goes through purees to actual table food by months. So the second chapter starts you at six months, then 7-8 months (which is where we are at), 9-11 months, and 12-18 months. At each grouping, the food changes. So for example, six months is all bland purees. And 7-8 months begins that way but add combination foods. Plus they give suggestions on seasonings to add to the purees so they aren't nearly as bland anymore. Baby learns new flavors and begins to actually enjoy some of the foods that otherwise don't taste all that great. The last section tells you the nutrients babies need and what are the best sources for it (food wise). There is also an index.

Other great things: there is an introduction to the new food selection. Each section gives some suggestions for foods to be introduced at that age. Then it lists "recipes" with color pictures. They cover meats, grains, veggies, and fruits. Not all the food suggestions are given recipes, but it gives you the basic ones to get started. Plus it tells you about how much to buy and what it will yield. It will also let you know the vitamins in the food or in the case of apples which ones are less acidic.

It's a really great resource which is jammed full of information in an easy to read and colorful format. I can't wait to make green beans and mint for HB. So far to get him to eat the "undesirable thing" we've been mixing them with fruit. Maybe the mint will be a nice addition.

Bon Appetit, Bebes!

My "little" guy

My "little" guy is growing up. *sniff sniff* His onesies have been stretched to the max. I literally tug on them before putting them on his person. So I told Hubby we needed to get him some clothes. He has a few that are for his size (something like three outfits) so it's time. I gave myself a budget of 30 bucks for enough outfits for the week, at least one church worthy outfit, and a sleeper because all that fits him are the sleep bags. I really don't want to use a sleep bag because he likes to roll around in bed and sometimes he plays with his feet when he's trying to get comfortable. We haven't used the sleepers others have given us because it's been too hot and now he's too tall. But this morning at five am, his feet and hands were cold. I told Hubby about it and he said we could raise the temperature on the thermostat since it's not sweltering at night anymore. But I figure we can see if a sleeper helps.

I went to Savers today. They are transitioning from shorts and t-shirts to long-sleeves and pants. I'm avoiding the long sleeves because it will be another month yet before we have anything close to "fall" like weather and he may end up growing some more. Plus we can always get him a jacket for outside. Anyways...Savers. I went to his size section which is now 12 months and started combing the shirts/onesies. 12 months is a little loose on him, but the 9 months are getting to be too snug. Better to be looser. I started looking for cute shirts, but realized that it would be more practical to first look at where the clothes were made. This eliminated a majority of the clothes. Yes, most baby clothes are made in China. Fortunately the upper scale clothes are made elsewhere. I tried to look for onesies, but alas none of them were long enough. Most of the rack was filled with shirts so I ended up buying a lot of shirts for him. I found a pair of Ralph Lauren pants (three dollars people!) in size 9 months. They seem to fit okay and I will imagine be better to put on him now that I realized that it has a button and a zipper (most pants are just elastic). Also one of the employees was removing stock that hadn't moved so I picked up a loose fitting pair of shorts in 18 month size.

Most of the shirts that I found for him are polo style shirts or green t-shirts (?). I found two nice button up shirts for Mass. I found a onesie that doesn't fit so I'll have to exchange it and another t-shirt that was tagged as 12 months but looking on the inside is actually 3-6 months. It's a good half inch shorter than the rest and a lot snugger. I'll take it back too. I also found one, yes one, sleeper that will fit him.

In order to make sure this stuff fit him, I brought some clothes that I know fit him or just barely do and compared. I don't trust the sizes by months because the size isn't consistent between brands. When I got home, I put a few things on him to make doubly sure. That's when I realized that the onesie wouldn't work. It's too wide and just enough in length. That's the problem with HB. Tall and skinny. So the shirts and pants should last him a while at least until it gets cold.

Oh, and the budget. 24 dollars for 8 shirts, 1 onesie, 1 sleeper, 1 pair of jeans, and 1 pair of jean shorts. I still have to take back the shirt and onesie to exchange, but I was totally under budget. I may look for another pair of pants for him. The most expensive item was 3 dollars and the cheapest was a dollar. You can't beat that! Kids grow out of clothes so quickly there is no point in buying anything new. Plus they get them covered in food at this age. As my one friend says, her daughter is a Savers kid.

4 comments:

  1. Those baby food books tempt me so bad lol. But I use www.wholesomebabyfood.com and it has all that fun info so I really didn't end up using anything else.

    Zavier basically has had no clothes from the beginning (very few) so we finally went out and splurged a little. There was a sale going on though and we got a lot for our money too. All made in India too :-) I know its not US, but not China either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, no problems with India. The people there overall are good. They are a poorer and larger populated country so I know jobs over there are important. Plus they are a democracy and protect the rights of their citizens. As far as I know there isn't a history of civil rights abuses (unless you count when they were part of the British Empire). Two thumbs up for Indian made goods!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I have a friend over there too so it made me smile when I saw it. I know there's (good) reasons for trying to buy stuff made from here, but I honestly can't see being all that strict about it at least in my situation. We wouldn't be able to afford it... but more importantly we tend to buy stuff that's from overseas for other reasons (some things, not everything).

    Now what does get me... We bought Z's clothes in two lots in the past couple weeks. Most are the ones I mentioned, but several others from WM - which are (yay!) now organic... but from China. So I have the little struggle of "to buy organic" or "not from China". BRU had organic ones but way out of price range :-/ Obvious which we chose when buying the rest but part of me wishes we could have more of his stuff be organic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly the dilemma I keep seeing too. Obama keeps talking about investing in green technology but most of that green technology is being shipped overseas to China. I find it surprising because I thought the US would push manufacturers to set up here and start it as a new wave in US manufacturing. That isn't the case.

    What's actually happening is American farmers in Texas and Mississippi are producing organic cotton. Then it's being shipped to China to be milled and made into clothing and being shipped back to the US. So there's this huge carbon footprint even though less chemicals is good for our skin, water, and soil.

    Alternatively, you can buy cotton that is sprayed heavily with pesticides. And I've seen the crop dusters, they aren't that careful. The stuff get everywhere. Of course this cotton is then treated with chlorine to whiten it and dyed with harsh chemicals and milled and made into clothing in the US.

    It's frustrating. There are a few places that sell organic clothing made outside of China but it's expensive. I've decided to buy stuff outside of China and hope that companies will get big enough to move back to the states. It's 6 one way, half dozen the other. On the one hand we are saving lives by refusing to buy Chinese on the other hand we are saving lives by refusing to buy chemically treated cotton that washes the pesticides into the ground water.

    It sucks that we're being forced into this decision.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!