Monday, September 27, 2010

Blow Outs

Normally I post something about being green and this is sorta related. Less "this is what my research has found" and more "boy, have I a story for you."

This morning HB woke up and the bed and him were completely soaked. A little while ago I bought him two Lollidoos that were on sale because they had changed versions and one was a sample from a show. The show sample was for the day. It's a cover. I really love it. It uses elastic cinching that you adjust with a button, similar to adjustable pants. It works great. The overnight pocket diaper, well, it's been blowing out. They new version uses cinching as well, but this old version uses the adjustable snap rise. I got it without the stuffing and figured that I could use what I had on hand. Apparently, I'm totally wrong.

The only time I've experimented and it hasn't blown out was when I used two infant prefolds and a doubler stuffed into the front of it. Hubby put on this latest one and I'm confounded as to why it didn't absorb anything. Not a thing. I used a regular sized prefold and an infant one. The bed was wet. The jammies were wet. But the diaper....not wet. I even checked the prefolds. Dry. My guess is that because he's a little boy, he shot out of the diaper instead of in the diaper. And because it was stuffed to the max, he may have been able to do that easily. Today, I'm going to a shop in town that I know sells Lollidoos and see if they have the inserts. Otherwise because of an upcoming engagement, I may have to buy another pocket diaper so the babysitter doesn't have to fiddle with my prefolds and we don't have to use a disposable diaper. *sigh*

So what does this have to do with the price of tea in America (yes, Americans, we grow tea here too)? Well, I'm been doing some thinking and here's my list of bright green to not green when diapering a child.

1) Cotton, Hemp, or Bamboo prefolds with a wool or fleece diaper cover- all use sustainable natural and organic materials making it your greenest option

2) Lollidoos- all materials are made from recycled PET (they are polyester which is a fiber with plastic in it). So all those water bottles you've been cringing as you see people drinking them, yeah, by buying one of these you're keeping six of them out of a landfill. The snaps are made from recycled steel. You can also wash them in cold water instead of warm or hot and they work just fine. Best thing about Lollidoo all of it, the whole enchilada is made in the USA. So not only is the diaper put together here but the polyester, the stuffings, and the snaps are made here too. They are expensive, so I snagged mine for half the price online. No heavy carbon footprint.

3) Prefolds with PUL covers, all-in-ones, and pockets- yes, these fall lower on the list because PUL is plastic. Fortunately if you buy only a few covers and next to no all-in-ones or pockets, you can reuse the PUL covers multiple times and still be reducing the amount of plastic that you use from diapering. Hubby's covers are vinyl (again plastic) and we are using them so if you take care of your covers you can continue to pass them on for generations.

4) Disposables- we all know that disposables are by far the worse of diapering systems. They use a ton of water to make and are basically plastic with a tiny bit of paper. Some systems are biodegradable like Grovia. Unfortunately, it's made in China (heavy carbon footprint). And some are made without chlorine or the those chemicals that hold stuff like 7th generation diapers. And of course the last on that rung is the regular Pampers, Luvs, Huggies, etc which are the worst of all in being green.

Also on the Chinese-free home front, Hubby has found a number of articles with people struggling to give up Chinese stuff too. There's even a book about one woman's struggle of buying nothing Chinese for a year. I'll have to ask him for the links and stuff.

Cottonbabies website is good about telling you where products are made. Apparently some of the Fuzzibunz are made in China. The inserts seem to be made there too. Also I believe Flip is made in China whereas BG is made in Egypt and the US. So far only Happyheinz and Thirsties are all US made.

I have found my own cools sites of USA made goods. That means a less heavy carbon footprint. This site is a great directory and updates itself. What's also great about it is it also has a link for green stuff. The children's section is also good if you're looking for organic clothing. I also found some soft shoes on there since we'll soon have a crawler on our hands.

Bobux is another company that shoes are made from stay-at-home moms in New Zealand. Don't buy the Target versions. Those are made in China. Unlike the USA made ones they also produce shoes for those who are starting to or can walk very well.

And finally this site makes me smile. It's very affordable USA modest clothing for women and girls. I'm thinking that if I can't find anything at the thrift store I'll save my pennies for some long skirts for winter. I usually just wear tights because it doesn't get too cold for too long, but I've morphed into a different size (and no I won't tell you) because now my hips are bigger and well my boobs are bigger too. Yeah, I know, it's the pregnancy hormones that stretched me out so I won't be a tiny size 6 that I was in college anymore.(still not telling you) At least my feet and hands didn't change. Oh, the joys of motherhood. *sigh*

Well gotta run. Laundry needs to be moved and HB is awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!