Saturday, September 18, 2010

For the Lactating: A Big Relief

For those of you who don't know, those growth charts that your pediatrician uses are from the CDC. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) bases it's charts on formula fed infants. Last week, the CDC issued a statement, which basically says that all pediatricians and parents should use the WHO's chart (World Health Organization) for children under the age of two. The WHO's chart is based on breastfed babies.

What does this mean for the CDC? My guess is that the CDC is going to revamp their charts for breastfed babies.

I would also venture to say (and the grape vine seems to confirm this) that formula fed babies are actually obese. Because the charts differ dramatically enough for the CDC to say that breast fed babies need a separate chart, I would say that this means that the formula fed babies are getting too much to eat. We already have seen the studies that confirm that formula fed babies grow up to be overweight/obese children and overweight/obese adults.

Just to give you an idea of how dramatic it is, I looked up HB's own weight/age ratio. On the CDCs chart, he is in the 1 or 2 percentile. On the WHOs he is somewhere between 5 and 10 percent. That's a big difference.

I would also guess that the CDC may issue it's own official stance on the length of breastfeeding. Right now it's website quotes the AAP's stance of up to a year and the WHO's of up to two or beyond. That's right up to "age two or beyond."

Also Michelle Obama, whose big campaign is to fight childhood obesity, has issued her own statements in regards to breastfeeding. Speaking to the Congressional Black Caucus this week, she spoke about encouraging women of color to breastfeed. Quote: She said another way to fight obesity was to promote breast-feeding, especially in black communities where, she said, 40% of children never receive the health benefits of breast-feeding. Back in February she had glossed over the subject. She said she breastfed her own children, but declined to comment on the role of breastfeeding in her obesity fighting campaign. So Michelle, what's up? Just go ahead and say it: breastfeeding will reduce obesity in this country and women need to step it up.

So whip em' out, Ladies!

5 comments:

  1. Very happy to hear about this too.

    A couple things on the overfed/obese FF baby thing.

    Any baby (FF or BF) can easily be overfed with a bottle. Its really bottle feeding that's the issue with that... and you can prevent it. Easily. Slow flow nipples. Taking breaks so the baby has time to realize he or she is full. Not forcing the baby to continue eating when they don't want to. The last one you think would be a given, but a lot of people do it. Is true with solids too, in the spoon feeding purees stage. And I caught myself doing that one... is one of the reasons I'm leaning towards baby led with Zavier is to stop me from doing it lol.

    But beyond that look at the ingredients to formula. Most of them that I've seen have HFCS in them. Not even kidding... We all know how that affects us.Its hard to lose weight when you're getting a steady diet of it and babies that are FF are. So yeah no surprise that they're gonna be bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hanks MK, great information!! There is a lot of ghosts in the nursery, to use a Brazelton phrase, when it comes to feeding. We hate to waste food and try to get our children to eat that last bite. I can usually tell when HB is getting full. I try not to force the issue.

    Lately, he's been not eating as much. I'm thinking it's his teeth so we don't force it. We just offer a few times and if he turns his head or fusses we let it go. I'm not worried about him not eating. He is eating some, and he'll get back to eating what he was eating eventually.

    Formula is a good alternative to breastfeeding, but they have a lot of clout and more advertising dollars. They've made it to the point that society thinks of bottles rather than breasts when feeding their children. Although lately I've seen a few lactivists go over board. If a person is asking you if you would be willing to cover up a little more, than you shouldn't go ninja on them and take it to the media. You can just politely say yes or no.

    I understand that it's wrong to ask a person to stop nursing in public altogether, but if they ask you to cover a little more skin, I don't think that's a social taboo. I'd say the same sort of thing to a teenager if what they were wearing was inappropriate. I almost did at Mass the other day, but she was with her family. Had on a tank top and a short skirt and kept having to fix the tank top. If you're having to keep fixing your shirt to keep yourself covered and your bra from showing, then you shouldn't be wearing it. So it's not an issue of nursing for me; it's an issue of modesty and trying to be polite to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna cry... I got on to get a website from you to take a test (the homestudy thing) and wrote a big comment that deleted because I'm not logged into wordpress.

    You hit exactly why I have a problem not trying to get "one more bite" I hate wasting food. No bottles = not an issue with that, but solids.. .we pay for, I cook... I'm still fighting not trying to convince Kalila to finish hers. I don't want to give her issues with it but its hard.

    I somewhat agree with you on the NIP thing. Somewhat. I do think sometimes its taken over the top... If someone asks you to cover more, that's one thing... if you can't (or are being modest with no cover or whatever) then explain that you can't and let it be... if they harass you, thats another story. Some women literally can't be as modest as I like to be while doing it... I don't think they should be treated badly for that. Or if someone has an accidental slip. That's happened to me. Mortified? Yes... But Kalila was bad about throwing covers after awhile (is why I learned the other method). If someone had given me a hard time about it I can't even imagine how discouraged I would have been. But as long as they're being polite and not asking you to leave or go to a restroom (that's the point I become a rabid lactivist because its happened to me) I dont see the whole media frenzy part. Reply just as politely and try to resolve it... is all it takes.

    Mass is completely diff (not nursing at Mass, but dressing inappropriately). We have said stuff to some of the girls here. Jas actually went up to one's brother awhile back, found out he'd tried to stop her... then went up to the girl. Sadly I know I did that when I was younger too... My girls won't get away with it though. Sorry Kalila lol. I'm already starting to say no to certain clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna cry... I got on to get a website from you to take a test (the homestudy thing) and wrote a big comment that deleted because I'm not logged into wordpress.

    You hit exactly why I have a problem not trying to get "one more bite" I hate wasting food. No bottles = not an issue with that, but solids.. .we pay for, I cook... I'm still fighting not trying to convince Kalila to finish hers. I don't want to give her issues with it but its hard.

    I somewhat agree with you on the NIP thing. Somewhat. I do think sometimes its taken over the top... If someone asks you to cover more, that's one thing... if you can't (or are being modest with no cover or whatever) then explain that you can't and let it be... if they harass you, thats another story. Some women literally can't be as modest as I like to be while doing it... I don't think they should be treated badly for that. Or if someone has an accidental slip. That's happened to me. Mortified? Yes... But Kalila was bad about throwing covers after awhile (is why I learned the other method). If someone had given me a hard time about it I can't even imagine how discouraged I would have been. But as long as they're being polite and not asking you to leave or go to a restroom (that's the point I become a rabid lactivist because its happened to me) I dont see the whole media frenzy part. Reply just as politely and try to resolve it... is all it takes.

    Mass is completely diff (not nursing at Mass, but dressing inappropriately). We have said stuff to some of the girls here. Jas actually went up to one's brother awhile back, found out he'd tried to stop her... then went up to the girl. Sadly I know I did that when I was younger too... My girls won't get away with it though. Sorry Kalila lol. I'm already starting to say no to certain clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops sorry about the double post :-/ The laptop was fighting me yesterday lol

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!