Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Religion Wednesday?

yeah, I know it's Tuesday. Don't have time for a good post today so this a quick one. More my thoughts.

Com'on Catholics. You don't know about Transubstantiation. Who was your 1st Communion teacher? I wanna meet them. Sadly, Jews and Mormons know more about their faiths.

Yes, I still want four children. I don't care if I never take another vacation or live in the tiniest house on earth. Hubby, we're intellectuals. We need to have more children. But I'm sure that that's a loosing battle. *sigh* Oh and please read the article; it's a good one dispelling the myth that we don't have enough money to have more children. Although as the comments say, things are still more expensive these days. Yes, I promise we can talk about it later. :)

My pet peeve: Is it just me or does it annoy you that you look at some organization that says they're Christian and then read their belief statement and discover that it excludes you? I understand exclusion. I get it. It's totally fine with me. You don't have to include me in your cool organization. But could you use something less broad to describe yourselves? Christian includes so many various denominations. Lets see: Orthodox, Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Morman, Anglican, Methodist, Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, 7th day Adventist, Mennonites, Unitarians, Christian Scientists, Church of Christ, Church of God, Church of the Nazarene, Salvation Army, Presbyterian, Quakers, Messianic Jews, etc. We all believe in Christ but beyond that it gets sketchy. I wish people would just say we are Mainline Protestant. We are Evangelical. We have roots in Baptists. I mean we use Catholic for everything. Catholic schools, Catholic churches, Catholic hospitals, Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Workers Movement, etc. If you're going to exclude me, great. Not upset one bit, but could you be open about who's excluding me? Please. With whip cream and a cherry on top. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Uh oh. Someone giving you grief?

    I guess I'm lucky, most Catholics I know get Transubstantiation.

    Unfortunately the number of kids things is gonna be debated on all fronts. We want 6. I see nothing wrong with 4 either for the record, is how many I wanted to begin with lol. But I've come across Catholics online that think less than 12 is a small family and make comments about that too. Granted there's fewer like that than the number of people in general who think 3 is too many. I'm not gonna start on the "things" bit because it annoys me (not what you said but the idea).

    And yeah that irks me too. I still have "friends" who don't think I'm Christian. There's a couple in that list that can be debated depending on how you view Christianity or what defines it (not believing in the Trinity), but I wouldn't go up and tell them they aren't... for one its a grey area & not my place to decide and for another that is RUDE. Yet I get told that..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that transubstantiation thing is because there was a survey where 45 percent of Catholics didn't know that that was the real body and blood of Christ. That was startling to me.

    The four kids, I don't think I'll win on that one. I feel lucky he's talking about two. It's weird for him to think along those lines because he's an only child.

    I've heard people say well we're all Christian but while that's true I get a little upset that they don't realize that not every one who is Christian shares the exact same beliefs. I know an awful lot about other denominations. Why don't the Protestant churches teach the differences in beliefs more so that we can have some real dialogue instead of it being just "wrong."

    September 30, 2010 1:56 PM

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!