Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Going Cross-eyed

Okay, I lied. Not intentionally. There will be a third post today.

I've spent a monumental amount of time looking at childcare for HB online and over the phone.

Where I live, none I repeat, none of the Catholic churches provide childcare for infants. It's all preschool and up. I called the diocese who had no idea. I called my own parish and then I called the one I went to on Sunday because they have a school attached to it. They directed me to another Christian church that has infants.

I also called the Lutheran church's school for info. I only got the machine. I called the Episcopal who didn't know either but directed me to Interfaith Services. They didn't have a directory either. I called another Episcopal church who directed me to school that did not take infants. I called the Child and Family Resources who only gave me names of area daycares. I specifically asked for parochial or non-profits. And then I found one on an online search. They were very pleasant. Evangelical. But I'll take what I can get. Another one up north was too far away, but also nice.

Needless to say...I'm a little frustrated.

Why do you ask? Well, if I'm going to be looking for work, I should start looking at childcare too. Especially if I have interviews or something.

Why parochial or non-profit? I worked for a for-profit business, which I would take him to, but they don't take infants. For profits will stretch their dollar. Parochials or non-profits qualify for grants and other resources so money is less tight and can be spent where it counts: lower child/teacher ratios. That's what I want. More one on one for HB. And theoretically a parochial teacher actually cares about the children. I say this because I worked for a for profit and I cared about the children too.

Why not home care? I don't know of anyone besides myself who provides in-home care. If I don't know the person, I get a little skeptical. You can keep for profit four children without licensing. Plus centers are set up specifically for children unlike homes which are for families. I know that the centers have to be regulated. They also are inspected once a year and if there are any complaints.

Anyways...I'm going cross-eyed because I've been staring at the screen for too long and my neck hurts from being put on hold.

2 comments:

  1. Aww.. I'm pretty picky about who watches mine too. Crossing fingers I'll be watching a little girl Zavier's age starting Jan (unless her dad gets laid off, which is sadly a real possibility or if he gets a better job elsewhere also a possiblity). I hope that all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking, as a mother who stayed home with her children until they were 3 and 6 years old, I think you should use your saving bonds so that you can stay home with your child.

    Love
    your mother

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!