Monday, October 18, 2010

Put the Green in Halloween

There's a great site out there about greening your Halloween. Basically the site suggests doing a costume swap and finding alternative treats to the typical individually wrapped in plastic candies.

This year, HB is going as a cow. I have a cow print diaper so I went and bought him a white t-shirt. It was on clearance (I still don't know why because they had the same t-shirts out and they were not on clearance). I'm going to get a black marker and make similar cow blotched on it.

I like to come up with Halloween costumes as opposed to buying them. Most Halloween costumes come from China and they are made from Polyester, which is a fabric made with woven plastic. China has a lot of plastic in case you didn't know.

I've been Pippy Longstocking, a peace-loving hippy, and a fairy. All those costumes I've devised from things I've already had. This year I haven't decided if I want to be a teacher or a princess. I've got the means for both including a ruler for the teacher and I can make a crown from cardboard and aluminum foil for the princess.

Also I plan on asking for change rather than candy for UNICEF, which I will talk about in more detail later. And I'm debating on rather I want to make popcorn balls or candy apples to pass out rather than doing the candy. Last year I gave out pencils and little activity books. I avoid candy, but I'm not so cruel that I give out a toothbrush. I know the kids want things to enjoy.

For more ideas on how to green your Halloween, check out the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!