Sunday, December 12, 2010

Spoiled Babies are Smarter

Yeah, you hear it here. Spoiled babies...that is babies who were held more, touched often, whose parents responded to their cries quicker, and who didn't receive corporal punishment turned out to be smarter and more empathetic children.

Let me repeat that part again with more emphasis babies who were held more, touched often, whose parents responded to their cries quicker, and who didn't receive corporal punishment turn out to be smarter and more empathetic children.

Okay maybe that needs a little more emphasis. If you spoil your child with much affection, your child will be smarter and more empathetic.

If you don't believe me read it here.

So go ahead. Spoil you baby.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I disagree with ya here. Why? Because you can't spoil a baby ;-) As for babies who are held, touched, responded too, etc. Yeah that I believe :-D One of many reasons I'm loving on mine right now! Besides.. its fun. His belly is just too kissable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the term the article said. And I have heard people say things like "oh, if you pick him up to much it will spoil him." or "let him cry a little or he'll be spoiled"

    Granted I think with the age HB is at now he does whine/cry a bit. If he was truly upset, then I go and pick him up, but if he's crying because I won't let him touch the keyboard, well...no sympathy there especially if I'm playing with him.

    I shock one of my friends a lot. Especially since he discovered that I still get up with the baby in the middle of the night. And then he made one comment about didn't I just feed him. Well, I'm not a clock watcher sorry. And boobie is more than just food. But whatever. My kid. He's not loosing sleep over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I knew what you meant, just teasing. Hard to get that across on here. Zavier is also starting the not getting my way cry. I feel the same way about that. He usually does it when Kalila takes a toy away lol. Getting a little temper on him. I mostly hear that stuff from my inlaws (FIL esp). Oh well. Isnt gonna change my mind :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late to the game here. While the article title uses "spoil" the article itself doesn't. There's a big difference between affection and spoiling. I would say spoiling means you let them do whatever they want, or give them lavish material gifts. Lots of one-on-one time could in a way be spoiling, but isn't usually what people mean. Based upon the actual text, maybe a better title would be "Why Babies Who Arn't Neglected Grow Up to Be...." That's a big difference if you ask me. Doesn't sound as catchy though, does it? That's the real reason for the title...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!