Friday, January 21, 2011

7 Quick Takes- Family Favorite Recipes

I'm glad I did this last night. I knew that I wanted to post this, but that today was going to be stressful for me. I had to go to court. I didn't get to testify, however, so I have to go back on Tuesday. Hopefully, I'll testify then. My neighbor is awesome; she's agreed to watch HB so that Hubby can finish up his dissertation. His deadline is the 28th. He's going to work tonight until 9 pm to make up for the time he spent watching HB while I was there today. And no, the hearing isn't about something violent or anything. I'm just a witness to a custody case. Not fun either, but it's not like I was part of a bank robbery. But I'm rambling and you don't really need to hear my "sob" story.

7 Quick Takes- Family Favorite Recipes

In no particular order

1) Tortilla Soup- Serves 6
1 lb. chicken cubed
½ cup finely diced onions
4 cloves garlic, pressed
6 cups water
1/3 cup chicken broth powder
10-15 oz can of tomato sauce
¾ teaspoon dry oregano
1/3 cup lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
Bag of tortilla chips

Optional toppings: monte jack cheese, avocado, sour cream

In a large 4- quart pot, combine all of the ingredients (except the tortilla chips). Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Serve with a handful of tortilla chips on the top of the soup. Garnish with optional toppings of your choice.

2) Fajitas -Makes 10
1 lb boneless skinless chicken
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cloves pressed garlic
2 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon oil
10 flour tortillas (7 inches)
Optional: salsa, sour cream, grated cheese, refried beans, guacamole.

Slice chicken into ½ inch strips. Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Top with onions and peppers. In a small bowl, combine the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, lime juice, and oil. Pour over the onions and peppers. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Take tortillas and spread optional ingredients on top. Using a slotted spoon, serve a few pieces of chicken and veggies on a four tortilla. Wrap the tortilla and serve immediately.

3) Skillet Lasagna

1 jar marinara sauce
3 cups water
8 oz lasagna noodles
1 lb raw bulk hot Italian turkey sausage or pork sausage
2 garlic cloves
2 oz Parmesan cheese (I usually buy it pre-shredded to save time)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parley (you can skip this and/or use dried parsley)
1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta cheese (about 8oz, can substitute with blended cottage (opps) cheese but add less water)
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ tsp coarsely ground black pepper

Combine sauce and water in a family size skillet and bring to boil. Break noodles crosswise into quarters and stir into sauce. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 16-18 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir occasionally. Cook sausage in a separate skillet until sausage is no longer pink. Make sure to break it into small bite sized pieces. Add pressed garlic and cook an additional minute. Stir sausage into noodle mixture. Chop parley. Combine cheese, parsley and black pepper in a bowl. Put cheese mixture over noodles. Cover skillet and simmer 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and ricotta mixture is heated through. Serve. You can put additional Parmesan and/or parley on top.

Cook and prep time: 30 minutes


4) Slow cook Chili
1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
1 ½ cups of chopped onion (I use a whole small onion)
1 ½ cups chopped green bell pepper (I use a whole bell pepper)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes undrained
2 15 ounce cans of kidney beans
2 ½ tbsp chili pepper
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp salt
¾ tsp pepper

Brown ground beef with onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a skillet. Remove excess grease. Put mixture in your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to blend. Cover and cook Low 8-10 hours or High 4-5 hours. Serves 6-8. Total prep time about 20 minutes.

5) Tuna Casserole (for two people my MIL recommends halving everything except the tuna)
1 package of noodles
1 can tuna
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion
½ green pepper
½ stick of butter
Sliced cheese to cover dish

Cook noodles according to directions. Fry onion and pepper in butter until golden brown. Mix all ingredients together. Put into greased casserole dish. Put slices of cheese on top. Bake in oven 350 F for 30-35 minutes.

6) Poppy Seed Chicken
3-4 cups cooked chicken cubed (about 4 breasts)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 ½ cups Ritz crackers, crushed (1 tub approx)
2 Tablespoons poppy seeds, divided

Place chicken in 8X10 casserole dish. Mix together soup, sour cream, and 1 T. poppy seeds. Pour over chicken. Then top with crushed ritz and remaining poppy seeds. Bake for 30 minutes. I would double it because this is really enough for two people.

7) Mini Meatloaves- Serves 5
1 lb ground beef
1 ½ cups of bread crumbs (you can take a heel and put it in the blender)
1 egg
½ cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons diced onion
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
Optional: 2 tablespoons diced bell pepper or for a cheeseburger version add dill pickles and cheddar cheese

In a large mixing bowl combine the ingredients and mix well. Using an ungreased muffin tin, fill each compartment with mixture. Bake for 40 minutes at 375 F.

Prepare each and serve with love!

2 comments:

  1. all of these sound yummy- I needed a good tortilla soup recipe

    sounds like you are stressed over at casa de deltaflute- hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thanks. It's okay. Gave myself a stress headache but it went away at the end of the day. If I could I wouldn't testify, but judging by the testimony I did hear my testimony is needed. I've been trying to avoid this whole thing for a year now, but I'm glad it's in court. Once that happens things will have to follow what the court order is and will *hopefully* get better for everybody. Unfortunately, I think I've lost a good friend because of this whole mess.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!