Calling all Christians! I'm inviting you to a year-long challenge. I invite you to read the Bible in a year. And for you Catholic Christians, I'm inviting you to read the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church in a year. So here's the ground rules:
1) choose a method of reading the Bible/Catechism. There are a number of year-long Bibles. I'm using My Daily Catholic Bible which divides the Bible up into a passage from the Old Testament and one from the New Testament. I like it because it gives the days of the year which includes feast days. I know that there are Protestant Bibles out there this way. You can also search the internet for a daily break down. I also am going to use this guide by CH Resources for the break down of the Catechism. It includes readings from the Bible as well, but I'm just going to use the Catechism passages.
2) Decide what works best for you. Would spending 20-30 minutes every evening be better? Or would devoting one day a week work out? Personally, I'm all for getting into the habit of it so I plan on reading it every evening. It's just easier that way for me, but I know it doesn't work that well for everybody. If you find it's better to read a bunch once a week, I say go for it. Pick Sunday since it's supposed to be set aside for worship and devotion. And if you fall behind in your daily readings (should you choose that route), you can always get ahead on Sundays.
3) Pray about what you've read or will be reading. The link above has some good suggestions about that. Pray for the others taking the challenge as well. You can pray that they don't fall behind or that they get past a hard-to-read book or chapter or that they are filled with the Holy Spirit, etc.
4) Post a comment in the comment box saying that you're up for the challenge. Give me a clue as to what method you've decided upon.
5) Hold yourself accountable. I plan on posting a weekly update (probably Sunday) on my progress and will include a linky link so that you can link up your own blog post. In it you can be honest if you fell behind, why you fell behind, what passage got to you, what passage you struggled with, what passage you enjoyed, etc.
6) Post a blog post on your own blog linking this one to encourage family and friends of any denomination to sign up for the challenge.
7) The challenge starts January 16th. If you need a copy of the Bible or the Catechism then go find one ASAP. If money is an issue, the USCCB has a copy of the Bible and the Catechism online. Click here for the Bible and here for the Catechism. They should get you started until you can get your hands on a copy. Or if you have trouble juggling a breastfeeding baby reading it online can work for you too.
So sign-up today. Remember Jesus is watching you. Don't pass up this opportunity.
Update: If you would like the blog button for your blog here's the link to copy and paste.