Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Green Cleaning-Additions

I’ve talked a lot about greening stuff up and have included a list of cleansers. I’ve read/own the book Shift Your Habit by Elizabeth Rogers so I thought that I would add the info gleaned from that book to my list.

Window cleaner
1 ½- 2 cups of water
½ cup of white or apple cider vinegar
¼ cup of rubbing alcohol
1-2 drops essential oil (optional)

Disinfectant All Purpose Cleaner
2 cups water
3 drops castile soap

Tile cleaner
½ cup water
½ cup hydrogen peroxide

Soap scum remover
¼ cup water
½ cup baking soda

Carpet stain remover
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup borax
¼ cup of salt

Also room deodorizer from MOPS
2 tablespoons of rubbing alcohol
6 drops of essential oil
Fill small spray bottle with water (about 6 tablespoons)

Stain removal from clothes (again from book)
Berries, fruit, or juice- pour boiling water on it,
Grease, oil, or butter- absorb it with flour or cornmeal
Dirt and mud- rub the cut end of a potato on it, let sit a few hours before washing
Grass stains- rub out with white vinegar
Wine- soak in milk overnight or use a whitening toothpaste
Food related stain- spit on it. Your saliva has enzymes that break down food

Make sure to treat stains asap and don’t throw in drier because a stain will set.

Some additional tips. Scrap your plate instead of rinse. Then place it directly in the dishwasher. You’ll save water that way.

Also have fallen in love with the Twist company. I’m going to say that most of it is Chinese free. But they make biodegradable scrubbing materials and cloths. Your typical green and yellow scrubby sponge is made from plastic. The great thing about Twist is that you can clean it by throwing it into your dishwasher. I love that feature. Now if only they could make a biodegradable mop replacement sponge…hum….

3 comments:

  1. :-) The glass cleaner is the same one we use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deltaflute, I came to your blog because I've always enjoyed your comments on A Woman's Place. I was so happy to see someone else who is invested in things like fair trade, exposing racism, peace, and truly clean living...from a Catholic perspective. Some of my friends have said to me (with only sweet intentions) "We don't get it - are you a hippie, or are you Catholic?" and I can only say "I wish you could see how they're really very linked!"

    What a great blog, and I love this post. I just went through my last bottle of bleach and I won't be buying any more. I can't wait to put some of these into action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cricket- Ah, you're making me blush! Really I'm not the only zany Catholic blogger whose like this. Check out Mama Kalila. She writes an awful lot about the same thing. She's Maronite Catholic (an Easter Catholic) so it's interesting to read about how the rites are different yet all Catholic mom's deal with the same things and want to be good stewards.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!