Thursday, April 28, 2011

Phrases that get Under My Skin

I'm pretty sure it's the hormones. One minute I feel like a lump of tissue who can't function and then I feel like I can't control my own body, that my very life force is being sucked out of me. And then I collapse on the couch crying because the feeling is horrible and for now, I can't control it.

And then the next minute I perk up, yell at my kid, and hate the world. And I regret it and the cycle starts all over again. I want me back. I miss me. So when I tell you this is just a rant. And that I apologize if you get offended, but then don't really care if you do, I hope that you understand.

Phrases that Get Under my Skin

The biggest one is something to the affect that Catholics and Christians are two different groups. Usually it's phrased something like "Catholics aren't Christians" or "He/She is more Catholic than Christian." *Buzz* Sorry wrongo! Catholics are Christians. Please use a different phrase like "Catholics aren't Protestants (Evangelicals, Mormons, Fundamentalists, etc)." Because we're not Protestants or Mormons, or whatever denomination you are, but we are Christians.

We've been Christian since the word was first used long before we were called Catholic. We are the original Christians and we find it offensive that you would not include us as one. We never gave up the word Christian and don't intend to either. You can't have it all to yourself!!! So I'm taking it back. From now on, I will call all Catholics Christian and all other denominations by their correct terminology. So we Christians will call you Baptists, Mormons, Methodists, Protestants, Orthodox, etc. And you can call us Christians.

Moving right along: What's up with the phrase "Is Jesus Christ your personal Lord and Savior?"

Hubby tells me it's meant to be do you have a personal relationship with Jesus. But in this day and age, I think it implies something else. I mean com'on PC means Personal Computer, you take Personal Days at work, you have a Personal Organizer, etc. Those things mean you don't share. And last time I checked Jesus was totally sharable.

So can we change it to "Is Jesus your Lord and Savior?" and drop the personal thing. Because if you don't mean Jesus to be exclusively yours, why are you saying so? And isn't it a bit redundant if you mean that you have a relationship with Jesus that he is your Lord and Savior.

Or better yet you can change it to the Christian phrase of "Jesus is the Savior and Lord of the World." and "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord and Savior of the World?" Sounds a bit less exclusive doesn't it?

Okay rant over. Where's the couch?

1 comment:

  1. Hormones?! Ahhh! I missed the annoucement! Congratulations! I hope you start feeling better ASAP!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!