Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama

I've had a rough four days. It's been really painful in a number of different ways. Hubby and I have been discussing putting HB is daycare temporarily until things get better because it is affecting Hubby's work. Saturday was especially bad so Sunday I decided to forgo Mass and spend my time on the couch and in bed. My reason being that we have two toilets in our sanctuary (and there are always lines) and I don't think the volunteers want to clean up vomit. Needless to say I haven't been paying much attention to the news.

So today I feel better and flipped on the tv. Yes, I've resorted to watching something on the tube while the baby plays because it keeps my mind occupied. I know it's not ideal, but I'm doing the best I can. If I think too much about feeling bad, I feel worse so tv helps. Anyways I scanned through the channels and imagine to my surprise that the View is going to talk about Osama's death today. What?

Yeah, I'm the last to know. I also read a blog piece from some bloggers about their conflicted feelings on the subject. I don't have conflicted feelings. So if you want to call me a terrorist supporter or Un-American, go right ahead. But here it goes:

It's not cool to celebrate someone else's assassination. I understand that 911 affected people. Many people lost loved ones, but revenge is not the way to heal. If that were the case, I'd be mad at God many times over for forcing family members of mine to suffer horrible deaths due to disease. But this is life. We are born and the only thing we can't avoid in life is death. We're all going to die.

Killing someone is wrong. Even if they murdered a lot of people. Catholic social teaching specifically says that we celebrate life from cradle to natural death. Natural death, not killing, not abortion, not euthanasia. Natural death. It doesn't matter that Osama was a crazy guy who enjoyed torturing people and killing them. It's not our choice to make on how he dies. That is up to God.

I get real upset when people take God's power away from God. Especially when it comes to some of the headlines in the paper saying "Osama burn in hell." Catholics cannot CANNOT say that someone is in hell or condemn a person to hell. That is God's power. Only God can judge a person's soul and Only God can decide who lives or dies.

And that is why I'm sad and upset. Upset that a number of Christians are forgetting to put God in control of their lives and the lives of others. Upset that people are celebrating someone else's murder even though he murdered others. We don't live in a world of eye for an eye. I'm sad that people think that this is okay. I understand that he resisted arrest, but so do many other people and they don't end up murdered. They end up in jail. Couldn't they have wounded him? I'm disappointed in our military and our president because murder was okay.

Yesterday, the Navy went into another country without their permission. Yesterday, American's murdered their "enemy number one." Yesterday, John Paul II, a man who forgave his would-be assassin, was beatified. Yesterday, was Divine Mercy Sunday and Osama never received mercy from us. It's my hope that Jesus's love and mercy poured out on Osama even though some American's in their arrogance and pain couldn't. Jesus is not just the savior of the "good" people. Jesus is the savior of the world. Jesus is Osama's savior too. And I'm sure he now knows that.

4 comments:

  1. I felt very upset this morning as well. Do I feel sorrow that he's no longer alive? Well, no. But that doesn't mean that I think he should be killed, kwim? Plus, reading about the celebrating taking place surrounding it made me feel ashamed. That's wrong, very wrong. I don't care how evil someone is, you don't celebrate their death. You may feel relief, and that's a normal emotion, but not celebration. That's my opinion, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are spot on! (Same with you Tiffany)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I remember morning sickness with my first son. Oh wow. At the time, my husband and I attended daily mass, at 630 in the morning. I had an agreement with God, I would attend daily Mass, no matter how awful I felt, as long has my first round of puking did not occur until at least 30 minutes after Mass was over. I never puked before 1030. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, not ignoring your post. Its sat up on my screen for days. I'm one of the ones with conflicted feelings. Very anti-death penalty here too. Not comfortable with the celebrating (though I almost understand it). But... I can't get myself upset about him being killed. Am I wrong? Maybe... but that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!