Saturday, June 11, 2011

One Last Post- Number 3

Just for clarification:

Nobody has asked me this but I see in my own writing that there is room for confusion so I'll be brief and plain.

1) Catholics believe that only Jesus can save and only Jesus has that power. Now this doesn't mean we automatically receive this gift. Even Protestants believe that you must accept Jesus in order to be saved. Catholics just take this a step further and believe that we have to also behave like Christians based on what is said in the Bible and what the Church instructs us.

2) Only Jesus has the power to forgive sins. But...he gave this power to priests. That doesn't mean that he doesn't retain it himself or that priests manifest this power themselves. What it means is simply what I said...Jesus has the power and he gave it to the priesthood. Just like as a teacher I'm given certain powers by the state, the principal, and parents to handle disciplinary problems. This doesn't mean that I can manifest this power on my own without their permission or their giving it to me, but I still have the power. And that is the distinction.

I hope this has clarified a few things. If you're thoroughly confused, please leave a comment in the com box. I'll try a different approach.

1 comment:

  1. Well said; I have a hard time clarifying this to my non-Catholic friends who are really confused as to why I feel the need to formalize forgiveness in the sacrament of reconciliation. I'm going to keep this conceptualization of it handy to explicate.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!