Friday, September 16, 2011

China and Food and Other stuff

 I managed to steal a chance to watch ABC (who I support big time since they've started their made in America campaign although I have some qualms with the fact that their parent company, Disney, sells very few products Made in America).  I was shocked to hear about the levels of arsenic in apple juice.  I really am not worried about it, though.  HB rarely drinks juice.  Our pediatrician is thankful.  Juice has a ton of sugar in it and very few of the same healthful benefits as regular fruit does.  If I want HB to drink his fruits, I'll make him a smoothy.

But I watched the piece anyway.  Here it is.  Pay close attention to the section around the 2.5 mark.

< Did you catch it?  ABC says that 60 percent of apple juice concentrates come from China.  This appalls me because I carefully screen my food.  I don't buy seafood made in China.  I don't buy the plethora of baby food/toddler food items made in China.  Unfortunately very few food companies tell you the origin of their food or where their food was manufactured.   Fresh fruits and veggies will tell you.  And a few process stuffs like cereals have told me that they were Made in the USA.  However, most don't.  If I turn over the frozen concentrate tube of apple juice, it lists company contact info which is a United States address.  Do not be deceived.  This is their customer service headquarters not their plant.

It scares me how much of China has infiltrated our food production.  If the pet food and the lead paint doesn't scare you, imagine buying apple juice that comes from China with high levels of arsenic.

But is that enough for China?  No.  They currently own 95 percent of earth's rare metals.  What does this mean?  It means higher prices for things like florescent bulbs.  I think that I've mentioned that virtually all fl. bulbs comes from China.  I've been buying the un-green variety of incandescent because you can get them from other countries. 

Anyways...I hear a toddler having a melt down and probably in need of a boobie break.

4 comments:

  1. as far as I know where the apples come from is printed on the bottle somewhere and yes most of the apples are not from the US even though VA, where I live, is a huge apple producing state. You know, I rarely give my kids juice too, and people think I am strange. My kids don't even drink milk except on cereal. After being nursed for 2-4 years they just don't like the taste of cow's milk, it wasn't some nutritional judgement. They do eat yogurt and cheese but people act like they are deprived because they only drink water. LOL, which is totally off topic.
    on the lightbulb topic, we have had 3 florescent(and yes it is sooo hard to buy one not made in CHina, which we avoid as well) catch fire or nearly so and went back to incandescent as LED is out of our price range. But what to do when they can't be sold in 2012? Some people are stocking up, some are going led, not sure what I will do. What are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually no about the printing. Telling consumers the country of origin is totally not mandatory and since a lot of food items originate from different areas, food manufacturers often don't tell you. Some may. I can't go into specific brands. But the vast majority of juice producers and other processed food makers don't tell you. And they don't have to which is why consumers keep saying that they want to know.

    As far as florescents, there's a movement of people who are protesting the change. Largely it comes down to consumer choice and monopoly. I'm on the protesting end even though I haven't officially joined a group. When the change happens, I'm sure they'll be some other bill countering it. But we'll see. If I have to resort to candles, then so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI, the arsenic poising thing is bad science.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/fda-leading-doctor-refute-dr-oz-shows-claim-that-arsenic-makes-many-apple-juices-unsafe/2011/09/15/gIQA22heUK_story_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoops, wrong URL.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2011/09/18/dr-oz-tries-to-be-a-scientist/

    In case that link doesn't work, here's the conclusion...

    "Dr. Oz ought retract his erroneous claims about arsenic and apologize for his scaremongering and his sloppy science. But he’s showing no signs of that: on his website he is sticking by his claims, and he challenges the FDA and the food companies to come on his show. He’s also claiming that the source of the arsenic is pesticide sprayed on apples imported from China, although he presents no evidence at all for that. This is not how science is done, Dr. Oz. You made a claim, and others pointed out major problems with it. It’s incumbent on you to come up with better evidence. But somehow I suspect that will be too much trouble for you. Real science can be such a pain that way."

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!