Monday, November 28, 2011

Getting Used to the New Translation

Yesterday we attended Mass with all the new stuff.  Let me back up a little bit.  Our parish priests have been preping for the changes for a couple of months.  In fact, because they tend to not sing the Gloria during Advent he had the choir introduce that early.  All of the homilies have consisted of discussions about the translation from what's being translated and why as well as basic info on the translation process (which pertains to anything really).  Apparently we're unique.  The head priest said that at his mother's parish they didn't do anything to prepare the weekly church goers.  He said he had to explain everything briefly to his mother over the phone.

I imagine that a few parishes have done a few different things from inserts in the bulletin to evening "classes/discussions" about what's going on.  I am sure, like the priest's mother, that a few have only mentioned it and otherwise ignored the congregations' needs.  I've been reading over the internet that several priests have largely hated the changes since they haven't felt that they were even needed.

Personally, I think staying closer to the actual words is the way to go.  I understand capturing the spirit of the Latin as the second edition intended, but some of the bigger changes like "and with your spirit" lost meaning when they were translated as "and also with you."

It was rather cute to hear people fumbling over it.  The priest started Mass explaining that they would project the new responses on the wall (we have projectors) and that they were in the missals and on pew cards.  He also said that he would applaud us if we were able to muddle through it and not go on auto pilot.  My favorite fumbles were "and also with your spirit."  I know I said that a couple of times myself.  Honestly, what parent with a toddler would not go on auto pilot while retrieving sippy cups and toys. 

The thing that Hubby thought was over kill (but keep in mind he wasn't raised Catholic) was the mea culpa or my fault of the I Confess.  I had to explain to him, briefly, the differences between venial sins and mortal sins and that the I Confess is a public confession which absolves you from venial sins.  This led into a whole discussion about confessions which gave me a fresh prospective on the subject.  I'll probably discuss it in another post.  Suffices to say, that one of my very misguided Protestant friends has it on "good authority" that the Catholic church has in the past banned the reading of the Bible. 

Sorry, Jesse.  The Church has never banned the laity from reading the Bible.  They have banned the reading of very bad translations (like they still discourage today such as the Jehovah's Witness Bible and the Book of Mormon).  And because it was expensive to own a Bible, Bibles were kept under watchful eye in libraries (stealing was prevalent).  But everyone had access to reading one if they so choose or could since the rich who could afford a Bible were about the only ones who could read anyway.  Therefore, saying that the Catholic church banned the reading of the Bible without more details than that is like saying eating chocolate will kill you.  Certain types of chocolate are actually good for you, and eating a little of the bad stuff won't hurt you.  It's the massive quantities over time that could potentially affect your health. 

But anyway...there are a number of good sources that go into more details about it citing the statements made on the subject, but I'm sure my friend's sources are Protestant-biased since he's never mentioned any of this crap to me directly. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was interesting.

    http://www.catholicity.com/commentary/carlin/05386.html

    You're right that the Catholic Church only banned reading non-latin versions of the bible, but the above author gives other reasons as to why Catholics didn't much read the Bible after the Protestant Reformation. For one thing, it was a way to distinguish themselves from protestants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so behind on reading posts (sorry about that, not ignoring ya).

    I didn't know about the changes until last Saturday when I saw a post on CafeMom lol. So out of the loop... Is interesting reading all the views on them though. & glad I found out before I go visit a Roman Church and got confused out of my mind lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!