Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What I'm Thankful For

Yeah, I know.  It's not Thanksgiving, but rather than typing another post lamenting my lack of labor pains (if one can lament that truthfully), I thought that I would focus on the good things about this pregnancy.  As usual, in no particular order...

1) I am thankful for sonogram technology.  I've seen a sonogram of myself and couldn't see anything but a small white smudge in a vastness of black.  Today's sonograms give great detail (even in 3d imaging).  And it's nice that they can measure the baby to help narrow the window of EDD (estimated due date), which they really couldn't do back in the day.  They also can detect any problem in utero and be prepared for any necessary actions (like surgery shortly after birth or early induction or c-section).

2) I am thankful that both my children are healthy.  I've luckily had no complications.  Now if we could get one of them's sleep-wake cycles on par with the families, we're good to go.

3)  I am thankful that I've never had to deal with breach.  This baby and his older brother were/are head down and hang out on the left side.  The left side has to do with how his head will fit through my pelvis.  If he hangs out on the right, I'd have nasty back labor pain.

4) I am thankful for learning about how to deal with nutrition better.  My ob was particularly bad and only interested in medicating my nausea.  This time I'm more educated.

5) I am thankful for my own health.  Sounds crazy given the pain and nausea, but I haven't had to deal with pre-eclampsia or gestational diabetes or low iron.

6) I am thankful for giving birth at a birth center with people I know who will actually support me.  I knew I was in trouble when the nurses asked me if I could unplug myself from the machines to go to the bathroom.  Where's the love?  I also saw my ob a total of 3 times during labor including when she actually delivered HB.  Whoever is on call this time will be there for the large majority of the time.  I will have a small IV only for antibiotics (because I tested Strep B positive again) which they will take out and no machines (no monitors).  And theoretically Hubby will be there (he was ill last time).

7) I am thankful for the large tub at the birth center.  At the hospital, I was assigned to a room with a shower, which didn't matter anyway because with all the equipment I couldn't use.  This time I will be allowed to soak and give birth in water if that's what's most comfortable.  Yeah, I did say water birth as in hippy dippy (my mother's terms) water birth.  This makes since to me since I started swimming when I was 9 months old and love water.

8) I am thankful for the ability and knowledge of breastfeeding.  My mother has a tendency to forewarn me in such a way that I get nervous and agitated (instead of feel supported).  But the jokes on her :P because I'm one of the few people who is breastfeeding a toddler.  That's right, Mom.  You were wrong.  (I'm saying this all tongue in cheek of course.  My MIL only breastfed up to three months so neither one could offer up much in the way of advice beyond the initial.)  And I will also tandem nurse.  Crazy still?  Although my knowledge of how that will go is limited.  But I know someone who's done that before.  My midwife.  But I will say that my Mom is awesome.  She bought me a breast pump for Christmas.  So have I converted her?  :)  Mom, are you now an ardent supporter of the boobies? 

Speaking of the boobies, I've been reading the Nativity story to HB (kid's version from books) and when we get to the part about swaddling clothes, I always tell HB that that means a diaper and then add the part of Momma Mary feeding the Baby Jesus boobie.  While it's not there in the text, one can imply that Jesus had a boobie shortly after his birth.  I mean that's what we do now right?

9) I am thankful for learning that babies are snugglers.  I've already told Hubby that he's taking the couch again and me and the Bro are going to bed share the big bed.  I'm not crazy to try that sleeping on his own again.  He can do that for naps.

10) I am thankful for VBACs and lowering incidence of c-sections.  I had a friend who had a nearly 11 lb baby without drugs at a birth center on post day 11.  My mother was coerced into a c-section because I was "too big" (over 9 lbs).  Unless there is some underlining major reason to have a c-section, anyone who suggests one will get the finger.  Who wants to deal with recovery from major surgery?  Not me.  No thank you.

11) I am thankful for the crazy irregular contractions and cramps.  They didn't happen last time around.  But I know this time my body is heading into that labor direction.  I also know that my body knows what it's doing.  There's something cathartic knowing that your body is working the way it should instead of being hooked up to a machine with synthetic labor inducing drugs regulated by a nurse.  I know whatever happens fast or slow it's the way it's supposed to be.  And that's a comforting thought.

12) I am thankful for not using pain meds.  Oh, I know what some may be saying to themselves.  Are you crazy?  Yes.  Labor pains are not the same as any other pain.  I should know having been told that at age 3 I would die.  Labor feels nothing like that.  It's a pain that's good because it's a working pain.  That's the only way I can describe it.  You work with it and through it and then it's over.  It's not like being sick.  And pain meds that numb you make pushing out the baby harder.  I want to feel that (however horrible).  Being numb sucked.  Try going to the bathroom or knowing when you needed to empty your bladder.  Yeah, thanks but no thanks.  Unless I'm just too tired to carry on, "no pain medication will be administered into the female's body" to quote Bill Cosby.

I'm sure that I could keep going on, but I think this is already a lengthy list anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I really think you're going to have an awesome birth experience! I can't wait to hear about it when you're able to post!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!