Sunday, January 22, 2012

Exorcized the Devil Out of Him

here's an after birth photo of Knee.
Got baptized today.  Have photos to share with family and friends, but I'll do that later when his godmother sends ones from her camera so I can choose the best ones.  (we took a lot compared to HB's baptism).

Oh, and thought that I would share a better explanation of the birth story than I did on this website.  It's better typed and longer if you want something easier to read.

I also told Hubby that we were exorcizing the devil out Knee.  He thought I was kidding until I said that there's a rite of exorcism imbedded in the Baptismal rites.  Yeah, really.  Here's where it happened, Hubs.  I was out in the bathroom with one unruly toddler at the time, but I could still here it through the speakers.

During the Sacrament of Baptism, the Priest says two prayers of Exorcism.

90. The first one is said after the reading of the Gospel. During that prayer, the Priest commands any impure spirits who might be present to depart from the person to be baptised. This process is to purify the physical body of the believer. The spiritual body does not need purification because a new creation will be born when the sinful one dies.

91. The second prayer of Exorcism is called "Ephpheta." (Ephpheta means 'Be opened') After the prayer, the Priest touches the ears and mouth of the child with his thumb. He then says, "The Lord Jesus made the deaf hear and the dumb speak. May He soon touch your ears to receive His Word, and your mouth to proclaim His faith, to the praise and glory of God the Father."


Source

2 comments:

  1. (Note from blogger. Poor Mama K hasn't been able to post any comments so I've been receiving them by e-mail and have been posting them for her)

    I didn't know the exorcism part was in the Roman Rite too... If I read that right its just not as obvious? Ours (laughing as I say this since I was raised Roman and this is after 5 years of being transferred over) you can't miss it.. the priest literally says I exorcise you or something to that effect. I was so caught off guard at Kalila's lol. Congrats on the Baptism btw! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! :) Yeah, it's not obvious which explains why Hubby never knew that from HB's baptism and thought that I was kidding.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!