Thursday, March 8, 2012

More from the Church Militant Home Front

This comment was left on my blog post about "The Pill Kills" from a person who identifies themself as Surprise.

I'd feel a lot better about "The Pill Kills" campaign if it was actually about helping babies, ridding us of the pills that do most of the killing in the U.S., and helping the environment. But it's not.

The campaign claims that the Pill kills "babies," while there is no evidence that it even affects human zygotes. On the contrary, the Pill grants women a reliable way to space their pregnancies and give birth to healthy babies. The campaign claims that the Pill kills women. While there have been a few deaths conclusively linked to some types of hormonal birth control, the health risk is still very low, and much lower than that of pregnancy. Besides, the true "Pill that Kills" is the prescription painkiller. The Center for Disease Control reealed that prescription painkiller overdoses killed nearly 15,000 people in the US in 2008. Where's the outrage over this medication? The campaign claims that the Pill kills the environment, but a study performed by UCSF found that estrogens released by the Pill paled in comparison to synthetic estogens that make it into our waterways from manufacturing processes, fertilizers, and dairy farming. If we're truly worried about the environment, let's fine industies that release synthetic estrogens as well as other toxic substances into our environment.

The "Pill Kills" campaign is, in reality, a fear-mongering movement to limit women's access to effective contraception that they themselves control. 

So I'd like to address it on this post.

I'd feel a lot better about "The Pill Kills" campaign if it was actually about helping babies, ridding us of the pills that do most of the killing in the U.S., and helping the environment. But it's not. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "actually about helping babies."  If you're heading in the abortion direction, I assure you all people who are against abortions are about helping babies.  And we do care about getting rid of abortion-causing drugs, (which the 3rd back up of synthetic birth control is not allowing a fertilized egg implant which is a miscarriage ie abortion) and helping the environment.

The campaign claims that the Pill kills "babies," while there is no evidence that it even affects human zygotes. On the contrary, the Pill grants women a reliable way to space their pregnancies and give birth to healthy babies.  



Here this video discusses how the pill works and what's in the Physician's Reference Desk that is not put in the patient's insert.  And it does affect human zygotes.

Secondly, there are other alternatives to the birth control pill to reliably space pregnancies and give birth to health babies.  One could use a barrier method, but I'm a proponent of NFP.  For one thing, if a woman breastfeeds her body will naturally space out her children as breastfeeding suppresses fertility.   And if that doesn't work, one can observe the signs of fertility.  This is the method that Mother Teresa taught the poor in Calcutta.  They can't afford the pill.

The campaign claims that the Pill kills women. While there have been a few deaths conclusively linked to some types of hormonal birth control, the health risk is still very low, and much lower than that of pregnancy.

Where is your evidence?

In my previous post, I linked a video of a Yaz commercial that talked about the devastating affects of taking Yaz including a high risk of blood clots and stroke.  Because of Yaz and other pills like it, a number of women have brought law suits because YAZ has caused blindness and yes, even death.  Women were made unaware of its affects and kept taking it despite receiving warning signs that something was wrong with their body.  If there were no conclusive health risks and death linked to birth control pills, why are the side affects and warnings put in the patient inserts?  If the health risk is lower than that of pregnancy, prove it.

Most people who have difficult pregnancies that carry risks already have health risks like high blood pressure and diabetes.  Some women are already aware of their health risks.  Others do not know they have these health conditions until they become pregnant.  Pregnancy doesn't usually create a health risk.  It is more likely to exacerbate a pre-existing health condition.  Pregnancy is not a disease.

If a person who had lung cancer died of pneumonia, the coroner would say they died of pneumonia due to lung cancer.  If a person dies of a blood clot to the brain (an aneurism), due to taking the pill.  The coroner would write that the person died of a blood clot due to the pill.  They usually write two causes for death in these cases.  A fetus doesn't kill it's mother.

Besides, the true "Pill that Kills" is the prescription painkiller. The Center for Disease Control reealed that prescription painkiller overdoses killed nearly 15,000 people in the US in 2008. Where's the outrage over this medication?

Pain killer overdoses are user error, error on the part of the pharmacist or the doctor.  My doctor sends my prescriptions electronically to avoid any error on his part. So this is the outrage or rather solution that many are turning to. If a person took too many birth control pills, that would be a different story.  But that isn't the case.  The problem is that the drug manufacturers are not informing the public.  They are hiding the risks to the fetus (and in the case of the Yaz law suits to the women).  This is more outrageous than user error.  It's lying.

The campaign claims that the Pill kills the environment, but a study performed by UCSF found that estrogens released by the Pill paled in comparison to synthetic estogens that make it into our waterways from manufacturing processes, fertilizers, and dairy farming. If we're truly worried about the environment, let's fine industies that release synthetic estrogens as well as other toxic substances into our environment.

Sure the industries produce more pollutants.   But you clearly missed the point of my post, which was to address the problems that the public isn't being told about, namely that the pill also puts pollutants in our water system.  Do I think that there should be some sort of regulation and enforcement upon manufacturing and farmer?  The short answer is yes.  I never said otherwise.  My post was to inform.

The "Pill Kills" campaign is, in reality, a fear-mongering movement to limit women's access to effective contraception that they themselves control.

Fear-mongering?  No.  Information?  Yes.  Am I trying to limit women's access to contraception?  No.  I don't go around raiding pharmacies and people's homes, destroying pills in my wake.  That's silly.  The Church doesn't do that either.  We aren't trying to revoke anyone's free access to the pill.  We don't have an campaigns like that.  We do, however, inform people, pray for them, and use ourselves as models.  What they choose to do with that information is for their conscientious and God's judgement.  We do not, however, want to be forced to endorse something that we clearly feel is immoral.  To force someone to pay for someone else's pills is wrong.  To inform someone of what they are taking is right.

As for "effective contraception that they themselves control" what do you think NFP is?  My husband doesn't stare at me while I stretch out my cervical mucus on the toilet (although he would love to but that's because he is a scientist).  I have control over observing my own body.  And I have control over what goes in it (including a penis).  If that isn't control, I don't know what is.  And it is effective.  You can't get pregnant from having sex on your period no matter what your misinformed health teacher or Planned Parenthood may tell you.  That's what I heard growing up and it's wrong and lying.  It's also fear mongering as they also pushed condoms and the pill because you need them "all the time."  Ridiculous.  Why not teach me about how my body works and let me take control over it?

So no, it's not fear-mongering.  If anything, your comment is fear-mongering.  You're trying to convince me that I need a pill because pregnancy is somehow wrong and my methods of spacing out births are ineffective or worse I can't control them.  You're also trying to make me look bad by bringing up things like user error and industrial environmental hazards which have nothing to do with my original post or the information I was trying to convey.

Stop trying to control me and stop trying to scare me, when I know better.  I've been pregnant twice.  How many times have you?

1 comment:

  1. I love this/your response. I wish I had a thoughtful comment to add, but really at this point I don't. Pg brain, gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!