Thursday, April 26, 2012

Baby Led Feeding and WIC

So I got my WIC checks on Monday for three months advance.  And since Knee is four months old, they gave me checks for him for when he's six months.  They are baby cereal, baby fruit and veggie purees, and baby pureed meats. 

I'm not so sure we're even going to use them.  And here's why.

I blame it on internet access.  I blame it on information at our finger tips.  I blame Europe and their forward thinking.  And I blame Mama K for posting about it with her son ZJ.  I'm saying this all tongue in cheek of course.  I'm not mad.

What on earth are you talking about?  Baby Led Feeding.  See that picture above.  Yeah.  That's a baby feeding his/her self apple butter (yeah, yuck I know).  And that's what I want to do with Knee.  Since he's not in any danger of weight loss.

The idea behind purees came from feeding babies at ages too young to chew, lick, and swallow large bits of food.  Talking to a grandma.  She documented that at the ripe old age of 2 weeks (yes, that's not a typo), her pediatrician advised introducing white vegetables to her child's diet.  My parents were encouraged to introduce me to baby cereal and gave it to me by bottle.  This is a big no no by today's standards.

The idea is that children need to learn to feed themselves by chewing and swallowing. But we're still stuck on the purees, which is why WIC gave me a whole bunch of them.

Incidentally, most manufactured purees are mostly water, which is why a number of parents have gone to making their own even if they don't go BLF route.

So what's the plan?  Well, since nobody in my family has a history of food allergies.  We're going full tilt.  His first foods will be banana, avocado, and steamed carrot sliced up like for a toddler.  We'll probably get the cereals, maybe a few chunky purees for when we're out and about, and the meats.  But I don't see the point in purees.

Heck, he already can grab a rattle or soft toy and shove it in his mouth.  He can handle a slice of banana I'm sure.

Oh, and speaking of learning how to feed one's self.  I need to get a water bottle with a pull top for HB because he's not getting the hang of drinking from a cup unless it has a straw.  I'm a little behind in that area.

1 comment:

  1. :-D

    Have fun! I'm looking forward to hitting this stage again.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!