Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vaccinations

So I've been looking more into vaccinations and whatnot due to my pediatrician.  I've looked into the research put forth by the AAP on breastfeeding and vaccinations.  According to them, there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding while getting vaccinated

So far I haven't run across anything that says breastfeeding during vaccinations is dangerous, which is what my pediatrician and her nurse both said to me.  To the contrary, a number of studies have indicated that breastfeeding is the most effective form of pain management.  So armed with my new knowledge, I plan on attacking my pedi with it.  Where is her evidence?  And if it becomes an issue again, I'll bow out of the vaccines this time and look around for a new pediatrician.

Also did you know that I can't go home permanently ever?  Or if I did I'd be forced to home school.  Why?  Well, there's no religious exemption clause in Mississippi.  Unless my children develop measles, mumps, rubella, hep A, and chickenpox simultaneously I'm sunk.  Not that I plan on going back.  There aren't any jobs for Hubby there anyway.  But we couldn't live in W. Virginia for the same reason.  If I'm being vague, what I mean to say is that unless you can prove that you can't medically accept the vaccine, you're children must be vaccinated to attend a private or public school in Mississippi.

I can't even provide evidence that it is against my faith, my morals to vaccinate my children with MMR, Varicella, and Hep A because Merk uses aborted fetal cell lines to make those three vaccines.  Short of leaving the country for an alternative in a place like Japan where they use rabbit, I can't conscientiously vaccinate my children.  So I can't go home.  I can't enroll my children in day care there.  I can't send them to school.  Not unless the law changes.

It seems strange to me that for a conservative state that's vocally pro-life and pro-family that they don't offer an exemption to families of faith.  Even Baptists are pro-life.  I suppose that I'm confused, but then that's Mississippi for you.  They like to arm wrestle with anyone against the grain.

7 comments:

  1. We have a religious exemption since we selectively vaccinate (i.e., we refuse all vaccinations made from aborted fetal stem cell lines). All we have to do in AZ is fill out and sign a form. I can't believe Mississippi doesn't have an exemption for religious reasons; that's just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I lived in Tucson. Now I live, shall we say, closer to you. So I know all about AZ's religious/philosophical exemptions. We selectively vaccinate also. I think my pedi was thinking I was losing my mind when I kept asking her the name on the box. I don't suppose you could recommend a pedi in the east valley? :)

      Mississippi is a little behind. But W. Virginia is really behind. Not only do they not have the exemption they have no nursing in public protection laws. I think it's a matter of just not feeling the need to have them.

      I suppose if I really wanted to make a big deal of it I could move in with my parents and try to enroll my children in my old school, but I'll let someone else fight that battle for me. It's bound to come up at some point.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Oh, just noticed your revised comment. Dang it, I was hoping to find a West Valley friend. :P Still, e-mail me - jrwahlund@gmail.com. I have a ton of friends in the East Valley and can get you some pedi recommendations, if you want.

      Delete
  2. :-( This is one area I love TX for... religious, medical and philosophical exemptions all are valid here. The school we're hoping to use doesn't require them either..

    As for nursing while vaxing - good luck! Our pedi looked it up after the first time we tried and came to the same conclusion as you... is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that she will hear me out, but I'm inclined to think it's the practice's policy (and it's a large one). I figure she'll give me the run around. I'd hate to let her go. She really is nice and has good kid-side manner. They also have a playground.

      But I suppose an alternative is to go seek out the health department which is hit-or-miss about allowing nursing during vaccinations.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!