Saturday, April 14, 2012

Why Not Wean?

I've talked about when, now I'm sure the question arises as to why.  Here are some of the most common reasons that I've heard.

1) I want my body to myself- So do I and so does my husband.  But anybody who has littles knows that you don't get your body to yourself until they're through the "ew, don't touch me" stage of middle school.  So there's no point in weaning.

2) They don't really need it- Nutrition wise, that's debatable.  My oldest is a stick and as my pediatrician says it's a snack.  A high in fat and calories snack.  It also helps fight infections.

But emotionally, my high-needs infant is also a high needs toddler and sometimes he needs it to help calm himself down.  Even adults need a breather.

3) It's sexual.- Have you ever wiped off poop from a pair of testicles?  Was it "sexy"?  I didn't think so.  Neither is nursing "sexy" for me.

4) But he'll make memories- Good.  He needs to know that every body part is good, not bad.  He also needs to understand that boobs and nipples are meant for other things besides bedroom activities.  If he has memories of the mammaries being put to use on a baby, well he'll think twice before feeling up his girlfriend.

5) But he talks.- since it's not embarrassing for me to talk about it, I seriously doubt it will be embarrassing for me to hear him talk about it either.

I didn't actually intend to be a tandem nurser.  In fact, I wasn't sure I could nurse at all.  When HB was little, I actually though tandem nursing was harmful or weird.  Why on earth?  Until Knee showed up on the scene and I wasn't ready to end our nursing relationship and neither was HB.  So Tandem nursing became a more appealing option.

But the number one reason why I like tandem nursing is because it keeps me sane.  I don't know how anyone does it otherwise.  It's my tool in my arsenal.  "Get down from there and I'll give you boobie."  It works.  I also nurse while changing diapers.  I nurse him to sleep.  I nurse him to keep him preoccupied and out of things.

And a couple of night ago, I had a fussy over stimulated baby and a toddler who hadn't seen his dad all day having a meltdown because Daddy wouldn't take him to the laundry room.  What did I do?  I sat down on HB's bed and put them both on the boobie.  No more crying.  No more screaming.  And they both don't tend to squarm as much  as when I just hold them.

Now who in their right mind wouldn't want that?

So go ahead.  Say what you want.  Mock me.  Wean your child.  But I'm telling you.  Motherhood is a breeze when you've got a weapon in the form of liquid love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!