Sunday, May 20, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge 2012: The Prelims Updated

I am required by Kim to post the following on every post (along with some other blogging rules that you need not worry about):

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a desert dweller with two children, ages 2 years and 5 months, who are both taking part in the Challenge.


Kim asked us to blog each day about the challenge.  And since it's almost the first day, I decided to Vlog the warm up.  Please ignore all the brain-fart moments.  I just got back from the grocery store so I wasn't thinking all that straight.

The following two clips (about five minutes) just shows you my stuff.  Keep reading below for some additional comments.  (Sorry about the old copies.  Apparently, Blogger hates me uploading videos through their format.  Youtube is a little annoying, but I'll live.)






So I forgot to mention that I'll also use some plastic coat hangers for drying and I plan to sneak stuff out on to the patio at night. It's totally a violation of my lease, but no one can see. Additionally my stash is the flour sack cloth and flannel. I did forget to mention that I have three jersey knit pillow cases as back up.  A snappi doesn't really hold in jersey knit.

The garbled section says that I also have a 1 gal juice container thingy that is great for agitation.  You can fit a couple of flats in it and shake it up.  I'm guessing that it may be a better alternative to the plunger.

I spent maybe 30 dollars for the whole of it because I bought the flour sack cloth. The covers, snappis (which I didn't show), bucket, and drying rack I already had on hand. The flannel was reminent from projects and pieces given to me by my mother. I have a picture below of me sewing the edges to prevent excessive fraying.

Kim has given us suggestions for what to blog about during the week.  So here's what's up for tomorrow:  Why did I decide to take the challenge?



8 comments:

  1. $30 is great! Good luck!

    -Kim
    http://www.dirtydiaperlaundry.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get the videos to play. :( Is it a problem on my end? I really wanted to watch, I love fluffy videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's probably blogger they've been giving me fits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll try putting them on through youtube later

      Delete
  4. Good job with the $30! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on the challenge and yeah, sometimes youtube is just as wacky!
    CJR @ The Mami Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! Part of me wanted to do it too, but I only have one flat lol... and now now baby to use them on anyway! :-( Silly kids growing up... Maybe next year though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job spending only $30. Love the videos. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!