Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 2 Complete

I am required by Kim to post the following on every post (along with some other blogging rules that you need not worry about):

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a desert dweller with two children, ages 2 years and 5 months, who are both taking part in the Challenge.


I should also mention that there is a link up for all the participating bloggers on Kim's blog.  Go check the other's out.

Urg.  Apparently, I don't get the memos because I just read that today we're supposed to talk about folding and instead I skipped ahead and am talking about washing. Oh, well.  She did say they were suggestions. 


And as you can probably tell because of the time coast-  Kim is on the USA's Eastern Coast and I am on West Coast time- I am one of the first posters.  I write at night so I've been writing at the conclusion of my day just to stay linked up.  Which means for some I'm a day behind.  I hope that doesn't confuse everyone.


My Day Recaped
My crazy stuffed Turkey woke up fine.  I did something similar this evening except both the yard of flannel and the flannel receiving blanket are origami folded.  The baby was fine too.


Since we're supposed to talk about folds, so far I've only pad folded the toddler during the day in either a cover or pocket.  Although during nap, the toddler is wrangled into a yard worth of flannel origami fold. The infant has been origami folded during the day in a cover or pad folded in a pocket.  That's because he is EBF (exclusively breastfed) and his poops are the consistency of natural peanut butter.


At night they are both origami folded.  I'll try and take some pics of it tomorrow and talk about it in more detail (the nights that is).  And maybe talk about how handwashing has led to some family fights.  Yikes!


Pics!
Pad fold for toddler

Toddler in that same diaper.  He was watching Netflix.  So this is one of the few pics where he's not moving.

Infant in origami fold.  He's playing with something.
Okay.  So here's how I wash my dipes.  I only do one wash at night. 
Spray off poop diapers.  Soak any poop diapers during the day and any pee diapers from the infant during Toddler's nap time.


Soak all diaper, covers, and bag in hot water in tub for five minutes.  Wow that was a mouthful!
Drain tub.  I have to create a channel and use my plunger or my feet.
Refill with hot water and add two tablespoons of Rockin' Green.  I have a big load.  Incidentally, does anyone know a natural way to rid themselves of lime build-up?
Use plunger at an angle for five to ten minutes to agitate.  Then drain tub again.
Rinse in cold to close back up the fabric fibers.  Use shower head to rinse off each individually and to make sure well cleaned.  Empty tub.  Repeat.


Twist/wring out water by hand.  Use rubber gloves meant for doing dishes.  Place rung out dipes in buckets.
Hang to dry.
And Hang to dry. (coat hangers on my window's overhang)
And Hang to dry some more.  (wet bag drapped over a chair.  yes, not very sanitary, but it's not like it's being used on a kid's butt)

I know a lot of pictures, right?  I'll try more typing and less pics tomorrow.  And sorry that I keep skipping around.

2 comments:

  1. I have been hanging my dipes to dry all over the house too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything high acid will de-scale the lime build up - vinegar, lemon juice, etc. The lower the Ph, the quicker it will work. With vinegar, for example, it tends to be more mildly acidic, so you'll need to either soak for a while or do several applications. If you keep a spray bottle with vinegar and water, and spray daily, you'll get rid of current build up and prevent it in the future.

    And good going with the flats challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!