Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 3 Complete


I am required by Kim to post the following on every post (along with some other blogging rules that you need not worry about):

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a desert dweller with two children, ages 2 years and 5 months, who are both taking part in the Challenge.


I should also mention that there is a link up for all the participating bloggers on Kim's blog.  Go check the other's out.   I've been following a Vlogger who actually usually is a full time disposable diaper user.



Here's her Day One Post, where she explains why she's doing this despite not being a cloth diaperer to begin with.


Day 3 Recap:
Today was a little crazy this morning. Even Hubby asked if we should hire some outside help.  Ha!  Like we can afford it.  So after changing the boys night diapers, my oldest declared that he had pooped.  But he didn't want me to change him so before tackling that issue, I thought that I would organize/stuff the diapers for the day.  Little did I know that he was deciding to change himself!  He came up to me with half his diaper off.  So then I scooped him and got covered in poo.  Fortunately he didn't get any on the floor.  That has happened before.  And this is why I recommend snap covers for toddlers.  Much harder to remove.

Meanwhile my youngest was also working himself up into a frenzy.  He too had poop.  So between dealing with two poops, putting away diapers, and changing myself my husband went to work a little later than usual.  Since he's a scientist, he kinda works his own hours anyway.

The rest of the day was like normal.

Fighting:
So this whole handwashing thing has caused a few big fights around here.
Day 1: Started out with me getting frustrated with my husband.  It was really bad many toddler tantrums kinda day.  So Hubby took my oldest to McDonald's after dinner and left me with the baby.  The baby promptly woke up shortly before handwashing so I had to put him to bed.  Then I got about half way through and the other two returned because my oldest was asking for me.  I was not too happy.

Day 2: My husband reached his boiling point.  He called the handwashing something I was doing in my down time.  I kept trying to explain that this is an awareness campaign.  It's like when some joins a 10K run to raise awareness for breast cancer.  But he doesn't get it. Between getting interrupted numerous times between my very angry husband (who punched his fist so hard in the door frame that he bruised it) and my wanting mommy children, it was not fun.

So we decided that as soon as one child is asleep for the night, I could start handwashing.  And Hubby would have to suck it up and go to bed later.  Hopefully things will be decently dry tomorrow morning at 6ish.  I try to drag everything back inside in the morning before the staff for our apartment is around.  The early morning dog walkers usually don't care.  But if need be, I'll deal with the fine.  

Day 3: Handwashed after both kids went to bed.  Worked out fine except afterwards I was so exhasted I felt like throwing up.  Now that I'm sitting blogging, it's oh so much better. 

Today's Talk: Night time diapers (we're supposed to talk about handwashing, so if you're interested in that scroll down to Day 2)

Baby's current night time diaper.  Yard of flannel in origami fold.
Diaper on baby with Snappi (it's a bit messy but it works)
Covered
 Okay so that works fine.  It's a little bulky but okay.  Now Kim asked us to try and make flats work for us at night.  It's not the best solution, but it's the best I could come up with for my toddler.  Normally we use disposables.  He seems to hold his bladder it and empty it all at once in the morning.  Sometimes we can catch him dry.  We did use fitteds with hemp doublers for a while but they also are bulky.

One yard size piece of flannel with flannel receiving blanket both origami folded
Snappied on toddler
 
Covered
 He looks like a stuffed Turkey.  You probably can't tell, but there is a gap at the top.  I don't think we can ever get a cloth night time diaper to work for us.  Does anyone have any suggestions for during the flats challenge and perhaps on a regular basis?  I think the Turkey look is so overrated.

Tomorrow we're supposed to talk about what we've learned so far (tips and whatnot).  I (hopefully) will be able to stay on task. 

2 comments:

  1. For night time witha toddler, i do a hemp stuffing with the extra oval and a large microfibre insert in a pocket diaper. It is often soaked by morning but no leaks. He usually stays dry all night and pees upon awakening. Good luck on the flats challange

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pooters bamboo fitteds have worked for us at night. My toddler is a heavy wetter and usually would leak out of his disposable. After they were prepped twice I started using them and there was even some dry area toward the back. I was impressed. Pooters diapers also have hemp fitteds which are supposed to be more absorbent but I find the material rough and so I put a flat under it cause I don't think I would want that touching me all night long! The bamboo is nice and soft and my go to night time cover is a happy heiny's fleece cover. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!