Thursday, May 24, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 4 Complete

 I am required by Kim to post the following on every post (along with some other blogging rules that you need not worry about):

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a desert dweller with two children, ages 2 years and 5 months, who are both taking part in the Challenge.


I should also mention that there is a link up for all the participating bloggers on Kim's blog.  Go check the other's out. 



Day 4 Recap:
Well the diapers did dry except the covers and pockets.  Drat!  I was hoping my hot and dry weather would dry those suckers without resorting to additional drying techniques.  So I had to pull out two covers from my "these covers really don't work for us" stash and use them until the rest dried.

Tonight, I employed the "roll em' up in a towel" tip that Kim and several others from our handy dandy facebook page have suggested.  I've used something similar before when I used to hand wash my bras (I'm lazy now and shove them in a delicate's bag).  Although when I was handwashing my bras, because they were wire, I would just pat them down.

So hopefully this same scenario (not dry yet covers) will not play out tomorrow.  Fortunately my load of diapers was small and I didn't go through as many diaper covers as I did yesterday (several EBF poops yesterday).

In other news, my husband is forcing me to go to the doctor.  He insists that something is terribly wrong with me and has been for weeks.  I blame it on fatigue and that maybe I have an ulcer or something.  So I will indulge.  But I doubt anything will come from the trip.  And yes, I still persevered and handwashed.  I am not a wuss. 

We're supposed to talk about what tips we've learned.  Yeah, I'm on task for once.

Tips
1) The plunger- Although mine doesn't have holes (most low income urban people don't have access to power tools), it still works just fine.  It makes handwashing oh so much easier because I don't have to get my hands wet, which could be a problem when using hot water.

2) The towel roll up for drying- I just needed a reminder.

3) Pad folding- Works better than any other fold for us.

4) The salad spinner- I think I may have to buy one for next year (if we're participating again) because I've heard that this saves your hands from all that wringing.

5) Fans- While I live in the desert, I've heard that those experiencing cloudy/wet conditions say using a fan indoors helps out a lot.

6) Wet pail system- I highly highly recommend this one.  It's the one both my in-laws and parents used.  I actually interviewed them and I'm so excited to share with you what we discussed.  But back to the wet pail...as Kim says you do have to be safe about it (we keep it in the inaccessible bathroom).  I've been using it just for poop diapers.  With my diaper sprayer and my semi- wet pail system, my diaper washing battles are mostly fought for me.

7) Popular diaper covers- Most people are using Thirsties or Flips.  I'm guessing the Flips are real popular because they have a flap that makes pad folding easier.

8) Gloves!- Kim, do you need me to mail you a pair?  As you can tell, most of these tips are about taking care of your hands.

Pictures!  This is my favorite part of everybody's blog post.  I'm guessing I'm not alone in this. (In case anybody's wondering why all the pics all of the sudden, it's part of Kim's blogging rules.  But I don't mind.)
I'm officially a cloth diapering mom.  I've been snappied!  It's that giant red spot on my finger.
Pad folded flannel receiving blanket in a Thirsties pocket diaper
Same diaper on my toddler
Tomorrow is an open topic day.  And I interviewed both my in-laws and parents about their cloth diapering days.  I will be happy to share with you the results of that e-mail.  Until then, have a great night or day depending on when you're reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, salad spinner I never thought of that. I guess you do one flat at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the people who use it say that you have to limit the number of diapers you use in it (and sometimes it breaks). But if you use it only part of the time, it saves your hands. Just gives your arms a work out.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!