Saturday, May 26, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 6 Complete


I am required by Kim to post the following on every post (along with some other blogging rules that you need not worry about):

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants from all over the world!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm a desert dweller with two children, ages 2 years and 5 months, who are both taking part in the Challenge.


I should also mention that there is a link up for all the participating bloggers on Kim's blog.  Go check the other's out.  


Day 6 Recap:
Tomorrow/Today is Sunday.  Pentecost, my favorite holiday.   And it's also the completion of the challenge.  I'm so looking forward to not having to handwash.  I hate wringing most of all.

The rashes are going away.  My plans have worked.  Unfortunately my diapers have a smell to them.  Not a poop or pee smell more like a chlorine smell.  Maybe the water?  Not sure.  I did use dish soap hoping that that might help.  But I'm skeptical.  Even that contains detergent.  Anything labeled 'soap' is really a misnomer because anything that foams is a detergent.  Even toothpaste has detergent in it to make it foam.  Natural soaps and natural toothpaste don't foam.

My diapers didn't dry very well overnight.  The night was cooler and the morning was overcast.  So I set up a fan.  Worked fine.

Tonight was the last night of a full on handwashing.  Tomorrow I will probably only wash a bucket of covers and prep/strip my normal diapers for Monday by machine.  Then I'll wash all the flats on Monday by machine.  Sweet!  In light of the close of handwashing, I'm eating left over pizza and drinking a beer.  Huzzah!  I've been wanting a beer all week.  Odd because normally I don't really drink a whole lot.  I attribute this need to my having to handwash and my crazy kids who will not behave themselves!  BTW my alcohol of preference has mostly been beer with the occasional glass of wine.  I know.  It's the red neck in me.

My MIL is going to be in town so I probably won't be posting a whole lot next week.  All this daily posting is such a grind.  Normally I write a lot of posts and set it up to post one a day.  But I can't do that with this.

The topic:  What we have learned today

And so what we have learned applies to our lives today
God has a lot to say in his book
You see, we know, God's word is for everyone
And now that our song is done, we'll take a look~ Veggie Tales

Well, the only two folds I knew before signing up for the challenge were the traditional ones:  the rectangle fold and the triangle fold that I read in a book (which made cloth diaper sound not very appealing).  I've tried and look for a description of both online, but haven't found one.

The rectangle fold is where you fold the diaper in half long ways.  Then fold down the back, place baby in center, and fold over and pin to baby.

The triangle fold is where you square you diaper, then fold into a triangle by putting two corners together.  You can repeat this to make is smaller or for a larger baby you can simply pin.  I used this one before and it totally didn't work.  So I concluded that flats were terrible.

But I've learned the other folds now and have concluded that the size of the flat, the materials it's made from, and the folds all are big factors in how effective you are using a flat.

And all the other tips that I learned and mentioned on tip day, I also have learned.

As far as how it applies today, I think that for EBF babies and heavy wetter prefolds are far easier and more economical.  With toddler and older babies, I like flats.  They are cheap.  The greatest thing about them, however, is that you can pad fold them into the size you want for a pocket or a cover.  My Thirsties pocket inserts tend to shift and bunch so we've had leaks.  But that's not been the case with using flats instead.  My toddler prefolds are a pain and don't really stay well.  And pinning them to wiggly kids is a nightmare.  So I've hardly used them and instead turned to more expensive solutions.  I think from now on I will use flats more in a cover.  And now to get more cute covers!!!  Especially since I can purchase two (or more) for the price of a pocket.  Huzzah!  (Oh, this beer; it's making me fuzzy.)

I'm not sure if there will be a link up for afterwards because we don't have anymore blogging suggestions.  But I'll at least give you my recap.  It'll be a short post.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!