Monday, July 2, 2012

Differences

Knee had a fever over the weekend so today I took him to eliminate it being anything bacterial.  The doctor ruled it out and said it was probably a 24-48hr bug since his temp is normal again.

Anyways.  Prayer request for Hubby's cousin.  Let's just say he's in it deep.  I'm not sure if the cat is out of the bag and that I can talk about it openly.

I'm not sure if I've spoken about this yet, but Knee doesn't carry the gene for CF and HB does.  CF meaning cystic fibrosis.

I'm not sure how I'm going to have that talk.  How do I explain to one teenage boy that he's going to have to ask females he's interested in if they also carry the gene and the other can go about life as business as usual?

My generation never had a genetic screening test.  You didn't get tested unless you had a family member with the disease or you were suspected of having it.  There wasn't anything out there for people like Hubby or HB to know if they had one gene (you have to have two for the disease to manifest).

Technology can be such a blessing and a curse.  It's good that we know that neither child has the disease and the odds of us ever having a child with CF are almost nil.  The downside is that my children are divided.  One who is a carrier and one who is not.

So when that talk happens and I have to explain to HB that he has some dreadful disease thing that could harm his own children, how will I break it to him that his brother does not?  Will there be jealousy?  Gloating?  Will HB be angry?

I asked Hubby this question, but because I'm his wife and I don't have the gene, he just shrugged his shoulders and said that it's basically a non-issue.

I wonder...I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.  How do you tell them?

Speaking of science the iflesh.org or bring sexy back on facebook sites is getting a lot of angry heavy foot traffic.  Please like them.  They need support.  Gotta dash.

Update:  Forgot to mention, Knee weighs 20 lbs. 4 oz which is about 7-8 lbs less than his older brother.  Crazy, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!