Saturday, July 21, 2012

What Gives?


I'm having an issue with writer's block.  It's probably fatigue.  The baby is going through his "I will not sleep unless attached to someone's arm" things again.  And you're wondering well, you're typing, what gives?  Well, I never really run out of ideas.  I just run out of the ability of where to start writing.  I'm thinking "oh, that's a great idea for a topic, but what should I say about it?"  Does that make sense?  So I'm writing through it because that's the best way to get through the block.

This topic is about cloth diapers giving out.

I read somewhere recently from some manufacturer (I can't seem to remember where I saw it so don't quote me) that cloth diapers will last you approximately 181 washes.  For those of you (like me) who aren't math wizzes, that's 6 months roughly if you wash the same diapers every day.  If you wash the same diapers every other day, it's more like a year.  And if you wash every three days, they last a year and half.  Of course this varies if you have a large stash or you have multiple sizes.

But basically the idea that you can use the same diapers from birth to potty training is bunk.

Oh, sure.  One could easily have some diapers that do last that long especially if you baby them.  I mean my prefolds can take a real beating and keep on going strong.  And there are some children who potty train very early at least during the day.  But based on the quote, generally speaking the statement still stands.

You can't cloth diaper from birth to potty training with the same diapers.

Not if you plan on washing them a lot.

I also totally believe that the statement about only 181 washes is true.  While my wonderwraps for some odd reason are holding up well, my other covers have issues....The Bummis Superbrite, after 2 years, have gotten holes (holes I tell you) in the PUL and (and) the hook and loop doesn't stick as well anymore.  My Thirsties, well the elastic particularly around the gussets has seen better days.  My pockets (the Thirsties ones) have issues with the elastic too.  And I'm a little leery of anything with hook and loop that I've had for about 2 years as well.

And it's not just me.  Bum Genius has a repair kit.  It includes elastic and new hook and loop.  A repair kit.  And it has nothing to do with your crazy toddler messing with the dipes.  It's just that things don't last forever.  They do give out.

And while I keep winning new fluff in these contests it's made more aware of just how worn out my poor dipes really are.  2.5 (or so) years and 2 kids.  They're taking quite a beating.  And it's probably a good thing that I started winning these new dipes because now I can retire the old ones or give them to Giving Diapers, Giving Hope to be used (I assume) for parts.

Yep, that's it on the topic.  See writer's block sucks.  I can't think of a good conclusion whatsoever.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the writers block.

    As for the diapers I've noticed it with some of ours too... but I do still believe some of them will last that long. Its a quality thing... Some brands hold up better than others (and BG's, Bummis and Thirsties are ones I've had serious problems with). I've had others that have lasted way longer.

    Knickernappies... I have one from when Kalila was a baby that is just starting to show wear (towards the end of ZJ's diaper time I used it as a last resort and rarely had problems, but it was on the way out of rotation lol) and another from ZJ's early months that is still in excellent condition.

    GroVia's brand is the same way... I have a cover from Kalila that is waiting in our dresser for Keiran. Thinking about it I bought two more when ZJ was born that I need to find and put in there too. Their newer ones seem to be just as nice and I am planning on getting more (have 2 shells now). Comparison wise, I have Thirsties that were over a year newer than that GroVia cover (was GroBaby at the time) and bought at the same time as the 2 I mentioned needing ot look for and they're complete garbage. I didn't wash them any differently.

    I'm not sure how long I've had our Charlie Banana or Fuzzibunz, so we'll see what happens with them. They're still in great condition though...

    CP's we'll see... our oldest one is coming up on a year old. I haven't noticed any difference in any of them... She charges less than the other brands though and I've gotten a good chunk of them on serious sale so even if I did end up having to replace a lot of diapers I wouldn't feel quite as bad as I did about the BG's and Thirsties (I'll admit I'm a bit bitter towards those).

    Same can be true with those prefolds too. I bought some w/ Kalila that were trash by the time ZJ was born (seriously had holes eaten through layers). Same amount of time after his birth, and his have held up well.. and I used them more with him despite getting into other styles at an earlier age.

    Anyways, rambling point - You're right they don't last forever... but there can be a big difference between in what experience you have with them too.

    But yay for winning diapers! I agree it really helps, esp when you end up with stuff like that happening.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!