Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Feminism and the Mommy Wars: Part 1

Currently there's an election for underway for congress in my area.  So I get a lot of calls from pollsters.   Some of them pertain to the congressional election and some to the presidential and some to both.  My husband asks me why I take these surveys.  Well I like to think I represent the small conservative female poor minority (not ethnically just minority of people).  I also like keeping the poll takers in their jobs.  Call it me helping the economy.

Anyways...Back to the poll.

They called yesterday and asked my thoughts about Rep. Krysten Sinema.  Usually the poll covers some of the bad things they've done and political stuff that they back and how this affects my vote.  The pollster asked me how if this quote from 2006 to a newspaper affected my vote and I started to laugh:

These women who act like staying at home, leeching off their husbands or boyfriends, and just cashing the checks (think that) is some sort of feminism because they’re choosing to live that life.
In case you were wondering, Sinema is an openly bi-sexual woman who says she that the comment was meant to be sarcastic and funny.  She is a democratic.  She said that she was raised by a stay-at-home mom.

All this seems to me is that Sinema has a warped sense of humor and really should take her interviews far more seriously.  Furthermore, her comments just add more fire to the Mommy Wars flame.  I don't know about you but I'm getting tired of it.

It takes all kinds of moms to raise children:  moms who work at home (telecommuters), moms who work away from home, part-time working moms,  full-time working moms, and moms who stay at home.  I really don't care how you make your living or if instead you choose to save a few bucks and keep your children home instead of day care.

As my husband says it, being a stay-at-home mom has it's perks too.  No we don't earn pay checks.  But we do work out ways to save money.

So when I hear that this woman was quoted as saying SAHMs are leeches and that it's not a form of feminism.  Wow.

I thought the point of feminism was to 1) give women the vote and 2) give women the say over their own lives.  Among other rights like the right to property and child custody and to drive.  I didn't realize that Sinema felt like me making a conservative choice to stay home and raise two boys made me less than or worse a leech.

And if you think Sinema is the only one who feels this way, you haven't been reading my post about MMSL where a man (and his wife) essentially say the same things.  Women are out to get men.  We stay home and then divorce you and steal your money.  Forget that we saved you money by not putting the children in child care the cost of which is astronomical.  Forget that a lot of SAHMs are highly educated.  Among my friends most of them have higher education and I know one of them has a degree in child psychology.  But no, we're leeches and the pariahs of society. 

Oh, give me a break.

Isn't it time that people just learn to back off?  Being a SAHM if perfectly fine.  And I find that your paranoid delusions or sarcasm only underline how bias liberals are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!