Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Debate Continues

x1134x comments are in blue, mine are in black.  To read the whole discussion: read here and here.

I'm sorry you see my whole-hearted opinion as an attempt to get a reaction. 

Well the definition of trolling, as I understand it, is to go on someone's blog (or forum etc) and derail the comments by making inflammatory statements particularly targeting something unrelated to the topic.  The original post you commented on was about MMSL.  It had nothing to do with Down's Syndrome.  In addition to that your original comment was in caps (internet for screaming) and you also called me a "FRICKING IDIOT."  Please explain how your initial comment discussed MMSL and was not inflammatory.


 I'm simply trying to explain common sense to you. When 9 out of 10 diagnosed down's syndrome babies are chosen to be aborted, you can see that its quite a consensus, and you are the one on the outside looking in. Its hardly a trolling position.




I see so by screaming at me, you were explaining common sense to me?  As for the consensus thing...I've already established that I don't follow the consensus, I follow Jesus Christ.  God's law first.  Man's law next.  Society at the very very bottom.

I also hardly think that I am one who is on the outside looking in.  If you were a long time reader, you would know that my oldest flunked his Down's Syndrome screening test.  It was strongly suggested to us that we should have an amnio.  We weighed the risks and decided that since abortion for our family was off the table there was no point in an amnio.  The ultrasound revealed that my son did not have a heart condition or anything else to be concerned about.  So I went into the hospital to deliver my baby knowing full well that he could be born with Down's.  He came out a healthy baby.  He does not have any extra chromosomes. But it wouldn't have matter if he had.  He's still my baby.

Perhaps you are on the outside looking in?

No society would find a person guilty of murder, judge them as evil, or find them disrespectful of the sanctity of life if they shot the mauled person with their one bullet, just as society doesn't judge the 9 out of 10 women who choose to abort their down's syndrome embryos. I stand and applaud their humanity in making such a difficult decision to reduce overall suffering.

No society, eh?  I suppose that you can account for the number of Christians of various denominations who also believe that aborting a child with DS is murder.  I wouldn't use the word "judge" because Christians aren't taught to judge a woman.  That is in God's hands.  But we judge the act of aborting a child with Down's Syndrome to be evil.

The Catholic Church is also very clear about mercy killings (ie your mauling scenario).  I'll quote the Catechism for you:

2277: Whatever its motives and means, direct euthanasia consists in putting an end to the lives of handicapped, sick, or dying persons. It is morally unacceptable.

Thus an act or omission which, of itself or by intention, causes death in order to eliminate suffering constitutes a murder gravely contrary to the dignity of the human person and to the respect due to the living God, his Creator. The error of judgment into which one can fall in good faith does not change the nature of this murderous act, which must always be forbidden and excluded. 

I'm not sure how it is humanly to kill another person, but people do murder people all the time.  Perhaps you mean it in a moral sense.   Perhaps you mean that you applaud that they've decided that it's more moral to murder someone in order to end suffering?  But there we are at clear odds.  As I've said before, I follow God and he's very clear.  The fifth commandment says "You shall not kill."  As for suffering, I'll repeat myself, to be human is to suffer and to suffer has redemptive value.  I understand that the Church works to alleviate suffering, but to murder someone in order to end suffering is morally wrong.

You still haven't answered my question...Do you know anyone or met anyone with DS?

2 comments:

  1. My original comment QUOTED the portion of your blog post that I was referring to. I took exception to words you wrote IN THAT ARTICLE. It was hardly "off topic" as you purport. If it was unrelated to the topic, why did you put it in there? You brought up the subject regardless of what the main topic was. Also all-caps is not screaming, it is simply a way to put emphasis on certain words when bolding or italicising is not possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you did quote me. I never said you didn't. And you're more than welcome to take exception. It was, however, off topic since the point of the post was discussing MMSL not Downs Syndrome. The comment I made was a comparison of abortion due to down's and the possibility of aborting a child who could not be your husband's child. If you want to talk about abortion or more specifically how you disagree that paternity testing will lead to abortion, then I will be happy to discuss that because it is in the context of the original post. Down's was not.

      You still aren't accounting for calling me a "FRICKING IDIOT." I will give you the emphasis thing but screaming is also in caps and can be misleading. It's far better to not use caps in the future. No need to emphasize anything.

      I do believe that by calling me names you 1) owe me an apology and 2) open yourself up to be called on trolling. If you don't want the reference and to take you more seriously, I expect an apology. Otherwise I have said what I have said; it bears no repeating. And you have disagreed. We are at an impasse.

      The ball is in your court.

      Delete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!