Sunday, November 25, 2012

10 Days of Turkey Leftovers: Day Two

Technically it's Day Three, so I'm behind but I promise to catch up.  For those of you who live in place where Turkey doesn't exist (which is the only fowl native to North American and incidentally is only found in N. America and the Yucatan), you can substitute chicken or similar fowl for any recipe.

For ten days I'm going to take my little over 16 lb turkey and stretch it out for the ten days from Thanksgiving to Advent.   I'm not sure we'll even stretch it out to ten days, but I'm going to try.  You can add more days by using both the reserve liquids and by creating stock from the bones.  But being that I am lazy, we did not do this.  I'm simply coming up with ideas for the extra meat.

Day Two:
Turkey Tetrazzini (from Healthy Meals for Less)

1/2 lb.  of thin spaghetti
2 Tbl. olive oil
3/4 cup of minced onion
3 garlic cloves, pressed
3 Tbl. flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used the kind that comes in a can) plus some for topping
2 cups water
1 cup milk
2 cups cooked Turkey (she says cubed, I say shredded)
seasoned bread crumbs (optional, my addition)

Cook noodles as directed.  In a skillet heat olive oil.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook until golden brown.  Add flour and cheese.  Cook until forms a paste.  Then slowly add water and milk.  Stir until thickens.  At this point you have a white sauce.  You could probably use your own recipe for white sauce or buy a jar version if you want to be more creative or lazy.  Then in 9X13 baking dish layer half of the turkey, half the spaghetti, and then half the white sauce.  Repeat.  Put in oven for 15 minutes or until browned at the top at 350 F (177 C).  Sprinkle with extra cheese or seasoned bread crumbs.  Serve.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!