Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day Three: 10 days of Turkey Leftovers

Woo, I made it.  For those of you who live in place where Turkey doesn't exist (which is the only fowl native to North American and incidentally is only found in N. America and the Yucatan), you can substitute chicken or similar fowl for any recipe.

For ten days I'm going to take my little over 16 lb turkey and stretch it out for the ten days from Thanksgiving to Advent.   I'm not sure we'll even stretch it out to ten days, but I'm going to try.  You can add more days by using both the reserve liquids and by creating stock from the bones.  But being that I am lazy, we did not do this.  I'm simply coming up with ideas for the extra meat.

Day Three:

Turkey Stir Fry (ideas from Healthy Meals for Less)

Her book includes a recipe for stir fry sauce, but I'm lazy.  You can use any sauce found in the Asian section of your super market.  Normally I use a teriyaki sauce, but the sweet and sour was on sale.  Basically any stir fry sauce involves soy sauce so if you're allergic you'll have to find another sauce substitute.

The other thing that she says is to use fresh veggies, but I'm a lazy slob and I usually buy bags of mixed frozen veggies.  Mine say "stir fry veggies" on the bag and give instructions.  They usually include mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, green beans, snap peas (aka snow peas), carrot sticks, and broccoli.  They were on sale for 88 cents a bag so I bought a few.

Stir fry is one of the most versatile dishes and depending on the sauce and amount of meat can be the most healthiest.  My former roommate who was from Taiwan often ate stir fry.  Basically you need three ingredients from the following lists plus some type of sauce.

Starch:
You can use any type of asian noodles
romen noodles
Rice

Veggies:
Anything that you can pick up easily with a chop stick (so no potatoes or corn or peas)
Anything fresh
Anything frozen
if you use canned, you should drain it first

Meat or Meat Substitute (although you can also avoid this list too):
Firm Tofu (my roommate used this often)
Beef cut into strips and tenderized
chicken cut into strips
turkey cut into strips
Kidney beans

How I cook my stir fry is cook meat first (in this case turkey).  Cook rice at same time (or later).  Then add veggies to meat.  Once my frozen veggies start to heat up I add the sauce.  Then I layer a bowl with rice and top it with my meat/veggie/sauce combo.  Bon Apetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!