Monday, November 26, 2012

Seeking Advice...

So my child's school (which is semi-public) is having a fundraiser.  They are raffling off baskets.  Usually they are benign things.  A kid's basket, a mom's basket, a wine and dine basket, etc.

But they have an Oo, la, la basket...

This includes message oils (okay), essential oils, candles, and pole dancing...

It's the pole dancing that bothers me.

Something about including pole dancing which is part of the stripper culture and putting it in the sacred space of the bedroom seems off.  It is also debasing to women.  Shouldn't they include some sort of "lessons" more for the man (unless I'm mistake but pole dancing is usually taken up by women)?  Where is the feminist outcry?

Am I over-reacting by refusing to support the fundraiser because of this?  I realize that pole dancing is being used as a form of exercise.  There's even a nun (not that that means anything) who teaches it.  But in this context it's clearly meant more or less to be part of a sexual act not purely athleticism.  Not to mention that there are other forms of exercise and other cultures that use poles, beams, and silk curtain things for aerobatic acts. 

The Holy Spirit keeps gnawing at me about it....

I've been debating saying something to the person whose in charge of the fundraiser and explaining that I would offer to help, but that this made me reconsider as it violates my religious beliefs and that I feel it's debasing to women.  But I doubt it would even matter.

1 comment:

  1. Not sure it's really appropriate to have an 'Ooh la la' basket on offer at a SCHOOL, really...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!