Monday, February 11, 2013

My Visit with the Doctor

I guess I'm going backwards with the list...

So the Pope is stepping down.  I realize that this is a bit of a shock to those who converted, but I'm a cradle Catholic.  My "shock" came with JP2 died.  He had been my pope (okay not just mine).  It is sad that B16 is stepping down, but it's understandable.  It's extremely difficult being a pontiff when your health is failing you.  JP2 also debated stepping down, but he ended up doing less and less and delegating more and more.  I've always been under the impression that B16 saw himself as a short-term pope.  But I'm not a mind reader.  I imagine he will enjoy spending his last days doing was he loves (writing) and being able to do so without the scrutiny of the press.  Best wishes and God's blessings to him.  He will be missed.

Speaking of failing health.  My Valentine's Day will consist of chocolate, cheese, and sparkling grape juice.

I went to the doctor last week because I was having trouble shaking this cold.  The drainage was unbearable and the cough kept me up at night.  He gave me a strong cough medicine and then asked me if I had been taking pain killers.  "No," I said. "You told me not too."  So he ordered another round of blood work.  (For those of you who do not know or don't remember, I have liver issues.)

The next day I received a message referring me to a GI Guy (gastroenterologist).  yippee.  So I can't drink wine or champagne.  Not that I really drink anyway.  But the last drink I had was maybe a year ago (the post was from June, but I'm pretty sure the last drink was way before then).   No beer.  No wine.  Nothing for New Year's, Christmas, Thanksgiving, or my birthday.  Not a single sip.  I know.  I'm whining. 

I expect that he'll look at all my tests and put me on medications for which I will have to take the rest of my life.  joy.

This will also mean I can no longer drink or use pain killers (with the exception of those that do kidney damage).

I know.  I know.  Offer it up, DF.  Just offer it up.  There is no patron saint for liver ailments, but this gentlemen is a candidate for sainthood and his feastday is February 24th.

Bl. Tommaso Maria Fusco, In life and in death, you work tirelessly for the salvation and healing of souls.  Since we share a common ailment, have pity on me dear Father, and pray for me to the Lord our God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your thoughts. Thanks for sharing!